• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
3dmodelerguy

Looking into C#

This topic is 3622 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can not seem to find any recent reading on this subject and i know this has probably be battered to death a million times but i want to try to can some clarification on the subject. I am trying to get back into the things of lower level programming in my spare time(been doing mostly PHP/javascript work as a late) but this question of mine has come up again and i want to see if the answers have change all that much. The question is should i use C++ or C# when it comes to dealing with graphics heavy applications(like a game engine). The first main question(and usually only) that always comes up is speed decrease with C#. I have been told by multiple people and multiple articles both the C# is much slower than C++ and that C# is not that much slower than C++. Now from the people who say the speed difference in not that much, they seem to agree that speed difference is around 5-10% and for the benefits you gain(like not having to deal with pointer and automatically garbage collections, the percentage loss, i would be fine with. Now, correct me if i am wrong, but C# requires the use of the .NET platform does does this mean that any C# code with only run on Microsoft platforms(being Windows and XBox)? While the loss of the ability to develop for Linux and Mac is not huge, it is something that would be a deal breaker for C# for me. These are my 2 major concerns with C# over C++ and any information would be great. I don't care if it is direct information or link to other articles/threads but if it could be something posted in the last 6 months that would be great because all i find are year(s) old.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by 3dmodelerguy
These are my 2 major concerns with C# over C++ and any information would be great. I don't care if it is direct information or link to other articles/threads but if it could be something posted in the last 6 months that would be great because all i find are year(s) old.

Being it's almost 2009, c# or c++ for casual game?
C# vs C++ as a choice for development
Question about Java vs. C# vs. C++
High traffic game server (C# vs. C++ with Boost)
C#/XNA vs C++/DirectX
C++ vs C#
C++ vs C# vs Objective C
C# and XNA vs C++ and SDL
C# or C++?

That should be enough to get you started.

There are multiple linux/mac implementations of the .NET framework. Mono is currently the best, and is pretty good. Speed variations will depend on what you're doing. The 5-10% is the generally agreed upon amount for the average programmer doing the average sort of task.

Well I think that I will dive into C#/Mono/Tao Framework(which I believe is all cross platform) over the next few weeks and trying to get a feel for the language and take it from there. I highest quality stuff i could even hope to make would be some thing like this http://media.pc.ign.com/media/869/869458/imgs_1.html.

Does anyone know of any good C# and Mono Books?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!