• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Nocturnus

OpenGL From Maya to OpenGL?

This topic is 3626 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently working on a project with a friend doing the programming half. My friend is doing all of the modeling for this project in Maya. What I'm wondering is what the best file format to use for exporting models from Maya for use in OpenGL. I've looked into the .obj format but it lacks animation support which is required for our project. We were going to use the .md2 format but that's a bit cumbersome to do using Maya and the format is a bit dated. Any recommendations for a file format that is some what easy to implement a loader into OpenGL would be great! ~Thanks Be the way. Is is possible to use .mdl files in openGL with animation? I know this is the format that most of the HL2 models use. Thanks!

Advertisement
Collada?

I use obj for the moment because our game doesnt require heavy animation.
I had a friend that used Collada stuff, might be worth looking into.

Do you even know how to do animation though? Its not a simple task of calling "load data". If not, then its gonna take you a while. If your a beginner, I would just use DirectX cuz it does the animation work for you. There really is no easy way or format. You could always write a model loader, and then make an animation editor for it (rather than animating in Maya). I ended up writing my own script in blender.

I use Cal3D for skinned character models, but I've had some trouble with it and is no longer updated. I'd recommend you look at exporter source code and write your own format and exporter.

Doom3's md5 support skeletal animation and vertex skinning.

You will find a maya plug-in in the doom3 SDK available online. As for the md5 loader, there is plenty available (http://tfc.duke.free.fr/coding/md5-specs-en.html)

Quote:
Original post by dpadam450
Its not a simple task of calling "load data". If not, then its gonna take you a while. If your a beginner, I would just use DirectX cuz it does the animation work for you.

1. i have always found that exporting and then loading it is the hardest part, the first thing i wrote for my engine was a skeletal animation class, it's just some clever matrix juggling, making it move was just a matter of scheduling different key frames and mixing them together.
2. not in DX10, you have to use XNA for that, and i would advice against using XNA.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!