• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Roberts91

Terrain tutorial

This topic is 3543 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a good tutorial about making terrain in C++ - DirectX out there that are as good as the tutorials from directxtutorial.com?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Roberts91
Is there a good tutorial about making terrain in C++ - DirectX out there that are as good as the tutorials from directxtutorial.com?
You mean "A tutorial that teaches you bad habbits, code that isn't correct and won't work on other machines, and then charges you for more of the same?"

Aparently there's up to 3,570 of them

What sort of terrain are you thinking of? What language? What API? (C++ / D3D9 I guess, but I want to be sure).

EDIT: Ok, that doesn't seem that helpful. But that website really is terrible, and for some reason there's been a lot of posts about it recently for some reason. Recent discussion about why it's bad.

What sort of terrain do you want to make? Are you talking about terrain for a game? For a model editor? Do you know anything about different terrain algorithms, or do you know what one(s) you want to use?

Yes C++ Direct3D9.

Directxtutorial.com is actually pretty good simple code and easy to understand. He goes into great detail that is actually relevant. And he gets right to the point. Most importantly it was really fun to learn from there. I don't know what you mean by algorithms but something along the lines of using heightmaps. And before I posted this i did do a google search and all of them were pretty much bad (bad as in I couldn't understand them pretty much at all) I was just hoping there would be something as easy to understand as directxtutorial.com's tutorials.

Riemer Grootjans has some tutorials that help out with the basics.

http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/DirectX/C++/Series1/tut10.php

There are several advanced techniques like creating a quad-tree implementation for terrain culling and using dynamic LOD to lower the quality of distant terrain that he does not teach.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!