• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Talin

Silly probability question

This topic is 3433 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, this is a slightly embarrassing question, it's something I've learned back in high school but I can't remember it now for the life of me. If an archer has 30% chance to hit the target in a single shot, what is the chance to hit that target at least once in 3 consecutive shots? And of course, the actual question is: how do you work that result out? :)

Advertisement
Better to ask, what is the probability that he won't ever hit the target in 3 shots? That's a lot easier: He never hits the target if: he doesn't hit the target the first time, AND he doesn't hit the target the second time, AND he doesn't hit the target the third time. Three independent random variables, each with P=0.7. So you have 0.7*0.7*0.7=0.343 probability he doesn't make any shot, or P=0.657 he does.

If you're feeling masochistic enough to calculate it the other way:

P(at least once) = P(3 hits) + P(2 hits) + P(1 hit)
= (3 nCr 3) * .3 * .3 * .3 +
(3 nCr 2) * .3 * .3 * .7 +
(3 nCr 1) * .3 * .7 * .7
= 0.657

You can use generating functions for this type of problem.

(.7 + .3*x)^3 = .343 + .441*x + .189*x^2 + .027*x^3

That gives you that
P(0 hits) = .343
P(1 hit) = .441
P(2 hits) = .189
P(3 hits) = .027

Quote:
Original post by PlayStationX
Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors with one car and two goats behind them. Say, you pick DOOR-1. The host then, who knows what's behind the doors opens another, say DOOR-2, which of course has a goat. He then says to you: "For the final choice, do you want to switch to DOOR-3?"

Assuming you want a car rather than a goat,
- is it to your advantage to switch your final choice to DOOR-3, or to stay with DOOR-1? ...or, it does not matter?

If you'd like, you can start a new thread to ask about that; hijacking Talin's thread isn't really appropriate. Before you do that, though, you might want to look over the previous discussions here, not to mention on other forums.

Quote:
Original post by TalinIf an archer has 30% chance to hit the target in a single shot, what is the chance to hit that target at least once in 3 consecutive shots?
The original question is adequately answered upthread. An interesting variant of this question is "How many times will I have to shoot in order to be reasonably certain of hitting the target at least once?"

In order to answer this version, we have to define reasonably certain. A willingness to be wrong -- perhaps in this case it is being right 19 times out of 20 (95% certainty).

By experiment, I've found nine trials produce the correct answer using the polynomial method above:

0.0403536 (no hits)
0.15565 x (one hit)
0.266828 x^2 (two hits)
0.266828 x^3 (three hits)
0.171532 x^4 (etc)
0.0735138 x^5
0.0210039 x^6
0.00385787 x^7
0.000413343 x^8
0.000019683 x^9

But the process of finding out that it takes nine?

This version of the question has some other interesting applications as well. For instance, let's say a game not written by us as MagicDrops, and we have two current model guesses as to how they drop. The models differ by maybe 5%. How many drops will it take in order clearly select one model over the other? (Same question, just rephrased).

[Edited by - AngleWyrm on January 13, 2009 2:34:10 AM]

You want to find what is the first power of 0.7 that falls below 0.05.

0.7^n < 0.05 <=> log(0.7^n) < log(0.05) <=> n*log(0.7) < log(0.05) <=> n > log(0.05)/log(0.7) = 8.39905...

Notice the change from `<' to `>' in the last step, since I divided both sides by a negative number

Nice.

Restating as formula for trials need to get at least one success:

NumTrials = Ceiling( Log(1-Confidence) / Log(1-Success) )

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!