• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
johns700

DirectX in C# or C++

This topic is 3451 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, is learning DirectX with C# just the same as learning DirectX with C++? I want to start learning DirectX, I am comfortable with C#/XNA and am new to C++. However, I am going to Design School this year and we will be learning/using C++ for game programming. Sooo, do I start learning DirectX with C# as I am comfortable and then switch once I get to Design School or do I just start learning it now with C++ and continue from there? I hope this make sense :)

Advertisement
It is similar. However, the Managed DirectX API is deprecated. Microsoft's pseudo-replacement (because the two technologies do not exactly overlap) is XNA, which is different. To use DirectX as directly as is possible in C#, you can also use SlimDX.

The concepts are all the same, generally, but the syntax and names of functions and objects will not be.

If you need to be familiar with C++, but you're most comfortable with C#, maybe your best bet would be to use SlimDX or XNA with C# for your graphics development, but work with C++ concurrently, because C++ is the kind of language that has hte potential to hinder learning graphics programming. That being said, you're gonna have to get familiar with C++, so work on it using easier projects. C++/DirectX and C#/XNA are pretty similar, but learning C++ while still getting comfortable with graphics programming will stifle you a bit.

keep in mind, this is comming from someone who uses mainly C++, so I'm far from bashing it.

Thanks for the help guys.

jpetrie - Thanks for clearing that up. I thought DirectX and XNA were completely different.

godsenddeath - Yeah I think Ill take your advice. Im working through C++ Primer Plus to get all the basics/new concepts down and at the same time Ill stick to C#/XNA for game development.

Cheers guys!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!