• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Synthesizer

(3D MAX) Bone Weight problem exporting to .X

This topic is 3448 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys! I'm working with XNA, 3D Max 6 (CS 4.2) and PandaExporter (I know it's old & there's a better one, but I downloaded this better one, "installed" it, but it actually didn't install anything: no files copied). I don't really know 3D Max, I'm not a 3D Artist :) Based on the "dude"'s animation example from XNA Creators, I'm trying to make a Mazinger mesh (downloaded from Turbo Squid) walk. (It has a biped inside) I manage to import & render it, as long as I export it without bones. BUT whenever I export it with bones, my XNA throws this exception: "Error normalizing vertex bone weights. BoneWeightCollection does not contain any weighting values." I Yahooed & found a possible answer: all bones MUST have weight values (maybe it's true, maybe not...) So I checked (as I could) the weight table in 3dMax & found that R_Toe & Neck had no values. So I played a bit with the spray & painted some red weight around. I check the table & I FIND new values for this bones :) So I export the mesh to an X file, load it in my XNA application, F5 and... same error... I check the .X file & I find that the weight values that I can see in 3d Max table for this 2 bones are still missing (all other weights are there but neck & r_toe) If I collapse the modifier list in 3D Max & export the Mazinger, no bone weight info is saved in the .X file. Any ideas...? Am I missing something? I guess I somehow need to apply the values that I painted to the mesh, but I have no idea of how to do it! Thanks a lot for your help & sorry for the long text!

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!