Pricing Mac Port

Started by
3 comments, last by noisecrime 15 years, 2 months ago
I'm looking into hiring someone to port my game to Mac. Does anyone here have any ideas on how much I can expect to pay for this service? It's a fairly high production HO casual game (think Return to Ravenhearst) developed with Adobe Director.
Advertisement
I don't know, but you could always ask someone who ports to Mac for a living. I know of Red Marble Games, and they've got a contact address for prospective client developers.
If it developed use Director, can we just publish it to Mac platform? Last time (3 years ago) when I use Director it can publish to Mac or Windows.
>--HELMI-->>
I wish it were that simple. There seem to be some compatability issues and I don't really have the time to figure out what they are. I'd feel more comfortable hiring an experienced Mac-o-phile.
There really shouldn't be any compatibility issues with just publishing a Mac version from Director. Obviously there might some issues that need addressing such as use of third party xtras, maybe a few inconsistencies between Mac and PC functionality and of course straightforward testing of the code in a Mac environment.

Honestly if you've been able to produce the game for Windows, there shouldn't be much to prevent you doing the same for Mac. There are still plenty of developers in the community that will be willing to help you out with any questions. Try either Adobe Director forums, or mailing lists like Direct-L.

Of course if you don't have access to a Mac then it is a going to be a problem as there are always going to be little things that will need fixing up, from which OS fonts you use to the differences in images due to gamma settings, quite apart from checking that everything is functioning correctly.

Although in that case I think you'll find buying a Mac is going to work out cheaper than hiring a Mac developer and you'll get a new Mac out of it ;)

Out of interest what were the specific compatibility issues?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement