• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
someboddy

OpenGL Text in OpenGL

This topic is 3627 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I recommend FTGL. It loads true type fonts and you can choose from various output options, such as geometry, textures, or rasterize directly with very high quality. It's even cross-platform.

MMMmmm...

FTGL's website says that it uses FreeType, and FreeType is a GPL. I really want to avoid using GPL for my projects...

Quote:
Original post by someboddy
MMMmmm...

FTGL's website says that it uses FreeType, and FreeType is a GPL. I really want to avoid using GPL for my projects...

No reason to do that. If you compile the library as a dinamic library, the police won't come after you.

I'm currently using lots of dinamic gpl'ed libraries and they have made my life a whole lot easier.

Freetype isn't GPL, it has it's own licence which is royalty-free. This is completely free of charge for any use.

I know it's free of charge, but it says:
Quote:

o Redistribution in binary form must provide a disclaimer that
states that the software is based in part of the work of the
FreeType Team, in the distribution documentation. We also
encourage you to put an URL to the FreeType web page in your
documentation, though this isn't mandatory.

Doesn't that mean that if I use FTGL I'll also have to put that stuff in my project readme?

*sigh*

yes, they want you to acknowledge that you didn't wrote their library. But they won't charge you for using it or selling it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!