• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
3dmodelerguy

C# and XNA

This topic is 3448 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Considering that I don't care about being cross-platform, C# and XNA be powerful enough to build a Game/Game Engine to power a game to look like what Mythos would have looked like(if it was finished), example screenshots of what I would like to be able to doing(graphically) can be found here: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/869/869458/imgs_1.html or should i go with C++. Granted I might not even build something like that however i don't want to limit myself because of a poor choice in the beginning. Also if it is, are there any existing C# XNA Game Engine built under an open source license that would allow use for a commercial product?

Advertisement
There's no reason you can't do all that stuff -- the only limitation is your own technical abilities.

Well I keep hearing that C++ is faster and the way you need to go if you want to build a game that is sellable and not that i plan on selling any game, it would be nice if i could build something that i would be willing to sell and i don't want to use the wrong language(it is not like i would use php to build the next GTA game). I know how some people say that since the gaming industry is mostly C++ that you should learn C++ but i am assuming that the gaming industry stayed ASM even a few years(or many years) after c/c++ was introduced(correct me if i am wrong).

I think I will go with C#/XNA(or a C# game engine if i find one) and see what happens, at a minimum i will learn a new language.

Quote:
Original post by 3dmodelerguy
Well I keep hearing that C++ is faster
There is an argument that C++ has the potential to be faster. Even if we accept that as a blanket truth (which it isn't), it has nothing to do with whether or not you specifically have the technical skills to get all that performance out of C++. And it is quite difficult to get the sort of peak performance a modern game has. They manage it because they've got a team of experienced engineers working on optimization.
Quote:
and the way you need to go if you want to build a game that is sellable
Last I checked, Geometry Wars was a huge seller. You really think you need C++ to write something like it?
Quote:
I know how some people say that since the gaming industry is mostly C++ that you should learn C++
This is true, if you want a job.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
Quote:
I know how some people say that since the gaming industry is mostly C++ that you should learn C++
This is true, if you want a job.

Now from what i hear, gaming companies are starting to use C# to development tools like editors and whatnot but do you think somewhere down that road that more gaming companies will start using C# for actual game engines?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!