• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dark_Fallen

C++ Game Dev Help

This topic is 3451 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello gamedev community, I am new to C++ it's the only programming code i kinda know. ( Besides HTML cause i know that ). And I am pretty good with the beginning stuff. I made a texted-based guessing game where you have a menu and it records your wins and losses and you have an option to play again or quit. Im pretty good with that but now I dont know where to go. My goal is to make a 2d mario type game someday but im totally stuck on where to go now.. Any help?

Advertisement
Quote:
I am new to C++ it's the only programming code i kinda know. ... My goal is to make a 2d mario type game someday but im totally stuck on where to go now.. Any help?

You can make a 2d platform game, no problem. Since you're using C++ you can use one of the following in order to make a 2D game:

1. Allegro
2. SDL
3. SFML
4. HGE

These are just some of the more popular libraries. A more complete list of libraries tools is here.

In order to start you'll most likely want documentation, tutorials and examples. For that you can go to the websites I linked above. Also, if you choose SDL there are some excellent tutorials on Lazy Foo's Website.

There is also the how do I get started page on the game dev wiki.... There is so much information out there so read it and get started.

You will need to learn how to display 2D sprites, accept user input, and some collision detection for a 2D platformer among other things. Just break everything up into small steps and implement them.

While it may not be the best way to make games, I've been watching these tutorials about GLUT and OpenGL with C++. I'm currently finishing up a Tetris game from what I learned on that site.

www.videotutorialsrock.com

Quote:
www.videotutorialsrock.com

Funny you should mention this. I watched a few of those videos last night. I am thinking of going thru the series. Seems pretty good so far; the guy narrating the vids seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

I need to improve my abysmal OpenGL skills too.

My only question is that I currently use SDL as the framework to invoke OpenGL. He teaches using GLUT. Is GLUT better than SDL? Or does it really matter? In any case, I will probably try to go thru all the tutorials.

Quote:
Original post by signal_
My only question is that I currently use SDL as the framework to invoke OpenGL. He teaches using GLUT. Is GLUT better than SDL? Or does it really matter? In any case, I will probably try to go thru all the tutorials.

GLUT vs SDL doesn't really matter in this case. The guy is teaching OpenGL, so what you use to create the OpenGL window is pretty irrelevant, as long as you know how to use whichever of the two you choose. Since all his GLUT code does is handle events and create/resize the window, it shouldn't be a problem for you if you choose SDL instead.

Quote:
GLUT vs SDL doesn't really matter in this case. The guy is teaching OpenGL, so what you use to create the OpenGL window is pretty irrelevant, as long as you know how to use whichever of the two you choose. Since all his GLUT code does is handle events and create/resize the window, it shouldn't be a problem for you if you choose SDL instead.

Thanks for the confirmation. I figured as much.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!