• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BrioCyrain

Brazil, Russia, India, and China to get a new...game console?

This topic is 3446 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Zeebo, a console developed by Brazilian media companies, is in the works. All of it's game will be bought and downloaded by online distribution over a 3G network. The only thing is they seem to only be going for the Brazillian, Indian, Chinese, and Russian markets since there are "emerging consumers" in those countries. The console has been said to come with pre-downloaded games as well as being able to purchase your first downloadable game FOR FREE. Also people like Id, EA, and Namco have licensed some of their games for use on the console. It looks very legit at this point(having it's own website and wiki article) so if any of you are from those countries I suggest you check it out. http://www.zeeboinc.com/#home

Advertisement
If this console is going to be as reliable as their website, well... we'll have to wait and see.

If the games are being offered for free, how do they make money? 3G service fees?

Quote:
Original post by Moe
If the games are being offered for free, how do they make money? 3G service fees?

The games actually are not free(according what I have read), but will sell for around 8-15 USD, and the 3G service is infact free.

Interesting how you've been told backwards.

It appears to be bringing mobile phone 3D graphics technology to a home audience. Given the hypothetical price points and the capabilities (as well as the casual software houses that already use BREW) this could be something interesting to watch. I found more info on the wikipedia page(pops), as I didn't want to have to register.

Quote:
Original post by BrioCyrain

I wasn't told anything, I just guessed. It seems to me that the general idea in North America is to offer something for free (or cheap), but to nail the customer back on some sort of service contract. For example, an iPhone for only $199, but requiring a service contract that costs $50 a month for 36 months.

Quote:
Original post by Moe
Quote:
Original post by BrioCyrain

I wasn't told anything, I just guessed. It seems to me that the general idea in North America is to offer something for free (or cheap), but to nail the customer back on some sort of service contract. For example, an iPhone for only $199, but requiring a service contract that costs $50 a month for 36 months.

Oh, my bad then.

Well seeing how the system is neither an North American product or seems to be going to sold in North America, maybe the creators are going a different route?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!