• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dpadam450

Slow Post-Processing

This topic is 3542 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My game runs about 100fps. When I apply a blur it drops to about 20fps, which is probably because of fill-rate limits on my 7800gt. I'm wondering good techniques though to speed up things. I know lots of games use bloom which requires a blur, and other post-processing and they run decent on my card. I'm already using an FBO for shadows and FBO to store the first render pass. I blur after that.

Advertisement
I'm not sure what your algorithm is doing but maybe more of a description will help.

Also, is this limited to when the shader is running? if you disable the shader but leave the FBO does it run slow?

How are you doing blur? Are you using Gauss blur? How wide are you doing blur?

You should know that Gauss blur speed can be greatly improved by blurring in two passes - first time only horizontally, second time only vertically. Result will have same quality as usual NxN blur, but it will be much faster.

Also don't do blur on full screen resolution texture. Do it on half or quarter size. It will also improve speed.

Read here for some information:
http://prideout.net/bloom/index.php
http://harkal.sylphis3d.com/2006/05/20/how-to-do-good-bloom-for-hdr-rendering/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!