• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
aleisterbukowski

Computer restarts each time I put in a DVD

This topic is 3540 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Everytime I put a DVD into the computer it restarts. I noticed I had both CD-RW and DVD player, so I disabled the CD-RW in XP, and the problem still occured. I then thought maybe an IRQ problem? So I resorted back to factory settings in the BIOS and disabled a couple of ports that was not needed. I then went to optimized settings in the bios and that as well didn't work. What shall I do?

Advertisement
It could be that the driver got screwed in some way but I doubt it.

If it were a hardware issue, the best bet to avoid damaging anything else in your computer is to take the DVD drive to another computer and see if it behaves the same way. If it doesn't then it may be the data cable, or the power cable, or the ide/etc slot in the mother board.

IRQ conflicts are a thing of the past with motherboards with PCI and PCI-Express, as well as with Windows XP and newer OS-es.

Your problem is either electrical -- a bad cable, a mis-connected cable, or something like that -- or a corruption of your Windows or other OS install.

Go into Advanced System settings -- Startup and Recovery -- on the "System Failure" field, un-check "automatically restart." Then try the problem again. If the computer hangs with a blue screen, then chances are that you have a software problem (which could still be caused by bum hardware, of course).

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
IRQ conflicts are a thing of the past with motherboards with PCI and PCI-Express, as well as with Windows XP and newer OS-es.

Your problem is either electrical -- a bad cable, a mis-connected cable, or something like that -- or a corruption of your Windows or other OS install.

Go into Advanced System settings -- Startup and Recovery -- on the "System Failure" field, un-check "automatically restart." Then try the problem again. If the computer hangs with a blue screen, then chances are that you have a software problem (which could still be caused by bum hardware, of course).

Thank you that is very helpful.

If it is specific to only video DVDs you may want to very closely examine what your autorun settings for DVDs are configured to.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!