Computer restarts each time I put in a DVD

Started by
6 comments, last by binchawpz 15 years, 3 months ago
Everytime I put a DVD into the computer it restarts. I noticed I had both CD-RW and DVD player, so I disabled the CD-RW in XP, and the problem still occured. I then thought maybe an IRQ problem? So I resorted back to factory settings in the BIOS and disabled a couple of ports that was not needed. I then went to optimized settings in the bios and that as well didn't work. What shall I do?
Advertisement
Wow. That's extraordinarily odd. Maybe you should try posting over on the MaximumPC forums if no one around here is able to help.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

perhaps your drive's audio cable is incorrectly connected.
It could be that the driver got screwed in some way but I doubt it.

If it were a hardware issue, the best bet to avoid damaging anything else in your computer is to take the DVD drive to another computer and see if it behaves the same way. If it doesn't then it may be the data cable, or the power cable, or the ide/etc slot in the mother board.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
My bet would be some kind of a short circuit. Try to replace the power cable and see if this helps.
IRQ conflicts are a thing of the past with motherboards with PCI and PCI-Express, as well as with Windows XP and newer OS-es.

Your problem is either electrical -- a bad cable, a mis-connected cable, or something like that -- or a corruption of your Windows or other OS install.

Go into Advanced System settings -- Startup and Recovery -- on the "System Failure" field, un-check "automatically restart." Then try the problem again. If the computer hangs with a blue screen, then chances are that you have a software problem (which could still be caused by bum hardware, of course).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
IRQ conflicts are a thing of the past with motherboards with PCI and PCI-Express, as well as with Windows XP and newer OS-es.

Your problem is either electrical -- a bad cable, a mis-connected cable, or something like that -- or a corruption of your Windows or other OS install.

Go into Advanced System settings -- Startup and Recovery -- on the "System Failure" field, un-check "automatically restart." Then try the problem again. If the computer hangs with a blue screen, then chances are that you have a software problem (which could still be caused by bum hardware, of course).

Thank you that is very helpful.

If it is specific to only video DVDs you may want to very closely examine what your autorun settings for DVDs are configured to.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement