• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CrateMassacre

Art Advice Needed!! How can I improve this splash screen?

This topic is 3619 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, So yes, the title should pretty much sum up my question :) Please take a look at the image below and tell me what you think, especially how you think it could improved! http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=splashscreenow3.png My main concern here is with the semi-transparent wizard-looking guy. My goal was to have an ominous merlin character hovering somewhere in the background, commanding Miloshe to undertake his dangerous and quite possibly deadly quest. Unfortunately he ended up clashing with the color scheme and the fade-out effect just makes him look anemic... For reference the wizard was extracted from this image: http://bigyellowtaxi.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/dumbledore.jpg Thanks! Edit What kind of effects/filters would make the wizard (or any other photo) fit in with the rest of the screen? [Edited by - CrateMassacre on January 10, 2009 9:22:17 PM]

Advertisement
Um you don't have the rights to use that image, do you?

Other than that, basically it looks unbalanced because there is something on the left and nothing on the right, the title font should be bigger and colored, and ideally the art style of everything should match, not some cartoony and some not. You should have whoever drew the main character draw a wizard the same way if you want one.

Quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
Um you don't have the rights to use that image, do you?

Oof, well you got me there... however if I do find some creative commons/otherwise amicably licensed photograph, are there filters/procedures for making it look "cartoony", like the main character?

My problem is that I drew the main character (Inkscape), and I definitely do not feel up to drawing the wizard.

Otherwise thanks for the tips. Any other suggestions?

Google wizard clipart. You can find one with a better pose and more wizardy hat than that one of Dumbledore anyway. Then import it into Inkscape and trace it. Tracing is kinda ethically iffy but for one you'll be starting with a copyright-free clipart and for two if you don't have the art skills to copy it faithfully it will look original anyway, lol. Also consider mixing 2 examples, like a staff or hat from one with a pose from another.

I whipped this up to give you an idea. I got tired and didn't feel like finishing it, but hopefully it helps as a starting point for some layout concepts.

"My goal was to have an ominous merlin character hovering somewhere in the background, commanding Miloshe to undertake his dangerous and quite possibly deadly quest."

Also just idea:

Quote:
Original post by CrateMassacre
My goal was to have an ominous merlin character hovering somewhere in the background, commanding Miloshe to undertake his dangerous and quite possibly deadly quest.

I completely missed this. I'll whip up something different when I get home to give you an idea.

I started out thinking about the idea of being sent on a mission, with a blessing - godspeed. So I did a Google Image search and came across a picture, but it was of a woman tying a cloth to a knight's arm. The pose was problematic and useless as reference, too, but I took the idea of a blessing or consecration away from it.

As before it's basically a quick scribble with little planning or detail.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!