• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kest

WS_POPUP

This topic is 3568 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know what this window style does? I can't discern anything at all happening to my window when I add or remove the style. I've searched all over, but can't find a decent explanation of it. MSDN says "Creates a pop-up window". Also, has anyone noticed that WS_OVERLAPPED is 0? I've seen this flag being ORed with other window styles a lot in game engines, but it seems to do absolutely nothing. I wouldn't bring it up, but while searching out the meaning of WS_POPUP, I noticed someone mention that WS_OVERLAPPED represents the absence of WS_POPUP, whatever sense that makes. Thanks for any information.

Advertisement
A popup window is just a generic, bare-minimum window (no capture, no title bar, no border). WS_OVERLAPPED, however, usually has these window parts. The fact that WS_OVERLAPPED is 0 is probably so that it can be used for readability and semantics.

Quote:
Original post by Kest
Does anyone know what this window style does? I can't discern anything at all happening to my window when I add or remove the style.

What other styles are you combining it with, though? That's the important thing...

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Quote:
Original post by Kest
Does anyone know what this window style does? I can't discern anything at all happening to my window when I add or remove the style.

What other styles are you combining it with, though? That's the important thing...

In window mode: WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU | WS_MINIMIZEBOX | WS_MAXIMIZEBOX | WS_VISIBLE
In full screen: WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE

Quote:
Original post by Kest
Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Quote:
Original post by Kest

In window mode: WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU | WS_MINIMIZEBOX | WS_MAXIMIZEBOX | WS_VISIBLE
Any reason you're not used WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW for windowed mode? That's a "standard" windpw.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by Kest
Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Quote:
Original post by Kest

Any reason you're not used WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW for windowed mode? That's a "standard" windpw.

I'm not actually using WS_POPUP yet, just trying to understand it. Otherwise, the styles I mentioned are the equivalent of WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW except for WS_THICKFRAME.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!