WS_POPUP

Started by
4 comments, last by Kest 15 years, 3 months ago
Does anyone know what this window style does? I can't discern anything at all happening to my window when I add or remove the style. I've searched all over, but can't find a decent explanation of it. MSDN says "Creates a pop-up window". Also, has anyone noticed that WS_OVERLAPPED is 0? I've seen this flag being ORed with other window styles a lot in game engines, but it seems to do absolutely nothing. I wouldn't bring it up, but while searching out the meaning of WS_POPUP, I noticed someone mention that WS_OVERLAPPED represents the absence of WS_POPUP, whatever sense that makes. Thanks for any information.
Advertisement
A popup window is just a generic, bare-minimum window (no capture, no title bar, no border). WS_OVERLAPPED, however, usually has these window parts. The fact that WS_OVERLAPPED is 0 is probably so that it can be used for readability and semantics.
Quote:Original post by Kest
Does anyone know what this window style does? I can't discern anything at all happening to my window when I add or remove the style.

What other styles are you combining it with, though? That's the important thing...
Quote:Original post by Codeka
Does anyone know what this window style does? I can't discern anything at all happening to my window when I add or remove the style.

What other styles are you combining it with, though? That's the important thing...

In window mode: WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU | WS_MINIMIZEBOX | WS_MAXIMIZEBOX | WS_VISIBLE
In full screen: WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE

In window mode: WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU | WS_MINIMIZEBOX | WS_MAXIMIZEBOX | WS_VISIBLE
Any reason you're not used WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW for windowed mode? That's a "standard" windpw.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve

Any reason you're not used WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW for windowed mode? That's a "standard" windpw.

I'm not actually using WS_POPUP yet, just trying to understand it. Otherwise, the styles I mentioned are the equivalent of WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW except for WS_THICKFRAME.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement