• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CodaKiller

A cry for help! Blender API

This topic is 3451 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I get a list of bones then I run through the vertices and get the influences for each vertex. I then create a list limited to 4 weights and 4 indices, when I get the bone name for an influence I check to see if the name of that bone matches one in my list and thats where I get the index. Now this is where my problem happens, for some reason the bone data makes no sense... For instance when I have one bone for the mesh I would figure that the bone indices would look like this [ 0,0,0,0 ] and the bone weights would look like this [ 1,0,0,0 ] but I get kinda random weights and indices like the weights would be something like this [ 0.71, 0.39, 0, 0 ] even though there is only one bone connected to the mesh. Here is the code I use to get the bone index and weight lists:
	for vert in mesh.verts:
		influences = mesh.getVertexInfluences(vert.index)
		weights = []
		indices = []
		for influence in influences:
			if len(weights) < 4:
				weights.append(influence[1])
			if len(indices) < 4:
				for n in range(len(bones)):
					if bones[n].name == influence[0]:
						indices.append(n)
		for n in range(4-len(weights)):
			weights.append(0)
		for n in range(4-len(indices)):
			indices.append(0)
		bone_weights.append( weights )
		bone_indices.append( indices )

So I believe there is something I'm doing wrong whether its in the way I create the mesh or the way I export the data, I'm not sure. To do the skinning in blender I just created a armature, set it as the parent of my mesh and clicked Create From Bone Heat which seems to work correctly in blender but the data I get from my script makes no sense at all. [Edited by - CodaKiller on January 11, 2009 10:43:10 AM]

Advertisement
When I create a basic cube with a armature it export the data as expected but when I export my human model it exports random values that make no sense. Could there be some type of data left over from something I did while modeling it?

Why are some of the weights over 1 and how can I fix it? Should I normalize the 4 weights?

Also it seems to work on the default models such as cube and sphere but any of the models that I made seem to have random weights.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!