• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Frank Force

3D Bonsai Tree Game

This topic is 3465 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

GoBonsai is a prototype of interactive bonsai tree software. Eventually I would like to build a full game around it, but for now I’m releasing what I have which is a pretty nice demonstration of the engine with one tree type and a simple interface. Many features are planned for the future like ability to save and load trees, more tools, wiring, root trimming, pot selection, scenery, higher quality rendering, etc. Beta testers are needed. The website is www.bonsaigame.com Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2 - Frank Force

Advertisement
This actually looks pretty cool.

And I imagine it could be a great way for someone, like myself, to get some good bonsai practice ... without accidentally killing any more trees ...

Thanks. Part of my motivation was to make a learning tool that can supplement traditional Bonsai studies or something a teacher can bring out when kids are studying tree growth in science class. But my core demographic is the same kind of people that would by Nintendogs or Sim City. I hope that eventually it will be more appealing to the mass market when there is more of a game built around it with tutorials and stuff.

- Frank Force

Oh man... This is awesome. I think it's fun as it is (I'm not even into Bonsai and spent at least 40 mins on it, lol, damn tree wouldn't grow how I wanted it to [smile]). Also what really struck me was how realistically the Bonsai grew, especially how the trunks could curl around each other and look really 'gnarled', really realistic (Only the trunks, of course the leaves aren't realistic [smile]).

I know you might not want to at this time, but it would be interesting to see what a forest of these tree's would look like, no?

That's fun! I think it's a proof of concept that would make a really good game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!