• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lun85

Game programming in C# - beatmania

This topic is 3475 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm writing a game program using C# for a school project, similar to that of beatmania / djmax games. Anyone has any idea how to go about writing it? Or is there any similar references? Cos I don't seem to be able to find any online. Thanks!

Advertisement
You need to give as little more information.

What is your level of experience?
What specific problems are you having?
Do you have the required tools? Do you even know what they are?
Do you have a game design?
Do you have a timescale?

I would suggest you try to break down what you want to do and ask more specific questions.

I would also suggest you post in 'for beginners' too.

I'm only a beginner in game programming.
I want to create a rhythm program similar to beatmania, but I have no idea where to start, or what are the tools required. I'm now using C# in my project, and making use of directSound for .wav file output.
I'm only looking at simple game though as I have very little timespan for this project.

Hello,
I would suggest you to take a look at XNA.
Because if you are already familiar with C# it wont be
a problem to learn the basics of 2D in XNA in more than a week.

Quote:
Original post by lun85
I'm only a beginner in game programming.
I want to create a rhythm program similar to beatmania, but I have no idea where to start, or what are the tools required. I'm now using C# in my project, and making use of directSound for .wav file output.
I'm only looking at simple game though as I have very little timespan for this project.

I am working on a rhythm game currently.. My editor is in C# and GDI+ using WinForms and my testing application is written in XNA 3.0.

My editor is divided into sixteenth notes... I found this site helpful when figuring out the math for a playback bar: Frets on fire fan forum.

Honestly I have been working on my project with a group of people for a number of months... Rhythm games are not the easiest games in the world to create and I am not sure your time budget is long enough... My team consists of a musician, a 2d artist, an animation studio that is working with us, a legal/business expert, and me as the programmer. We have created a number of shipped games before so we have a good deal of experience.

In general beginning programmer (in anything) + short time frame=missed deadline. Rethink what you want to do and pick an easier project.

Good luck.

[Edited by - shadowisadog on January 12, 2009 2:45:01 PM]

Something I found helpful to do (with XNA) is to make a Scene class or interface and have your scenes (menu/levels etc.) extend this class. Then have a currentScene variable in your Game1 class, this will help a lot in keeping your Game1 class clean which can get messy fast.

Quote:
Original post by Thoughtless
Something I found helpful to do (with XNA) is to make a Scene class or interface and have your scenes (menu/levels etc.) extend this class. Then have a currentScene variable in your Game1 class, this will help a lot in keeping your Game1 class clean which can get messy fast.

I think This sample is a decent way to do scene management.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!