• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

PacMan linux

This topic is 3290 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I recently created a PacMan clone for the fun of it. The game was built on a Linux system (Ubuntu) using cross platform libraries (SDL). Now distributing the game in Windows in quite simple but it is not so in Linux, and unfortunately not much information is available. (Except for this wonderful article (http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/linuxprogramming2/) Now as I have created the game on a linux system I would really like to distribute it for Linux system and not have users run it via Wine or any other program. I tried to follow the instructions given in that article to the best of my ability but I'm not really sure if it works. So I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to test it on their Linux system, and let me know if it works. Both the linux and the windows version van be downloaded from - Link The game requires the following libraries (They are given along with the executable) - libSDL - libSDL_image - libSDL_mixer - libSDL_ttf Please feel free to tell me what you think about the game .. CONTROLS : UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT F1 - Full Screen. F2 - Pause Game. SCREENSHOTS : Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us [Edited by - Vish on January 12, 2009 11:21:16 PM]

Advertisement
distributing it as a gzipped tarball is just fine, it'll run on any linux system that way. Distributing the necessary libraries with the executable is ok too, some commercial games (like UT2004) do that so that they don't have any real system dependencies. You missed a few libraries, and your sdl_mixer link in the libs folder is bad though. It would be nice if the readme listed the dependencies required at least. My only other concern with the way you packaged it, the README file, and the game and pacman executables were needlessly bzipped inside of the tar.gz file. There's no reason to do that.

Hmm .. I added the SDL_mixer library. When compiling the game I explicitly added a -lSDL_mixer argument to the compiler and I used SDL_mixer for all the sound effects in my game. Still for some reason the objdump command does not show it as a dependency.

I did not mean to bzip the other files, but for some reason the script that I used did it for me and I foolishly did not even check.

Anyway I have now gzipped them correctly, recompiled and added the SDL_mixer library.

Link

Is there any way to check if the game will run on a linux distribution with none of the dependencies installed ? (As I have included them)

[Edited by - Vish on January 12, 2009 11:49:35 PM]

screenshot pls. I don't have linux here right now and I'd like to see how it looks. tnx.

ScreenShots have been added.

@owl : A Windows version is also available.
Link

[Edited by - Vish on January 12, 2009 11:53:23 PM]

Nice! I was able to play it a little before it crashed (with no errors).

The first time it crashed like 10 seconds after I pressed New Game.
The second time it took like a minute before it went down.
The log files in the game directory seems to be empty.

As the game starts and plays for a random while, I assume something must be going on wrong within your code. Possibly some kind of overflow? dunno

I'm running WinXP SP3.

Hmm .. that is weird !! I've run the game on WinXP SP2 and SP3 (3 different systems) and it did not crash even once.

Sadly this game lacks error checking (even basic memory allocation ones), which I really should have added. I'll write a basic file logging system and integrate it with the code.

This game is the first full fledged game I have written which is not for the DOS operating. So I'm just thrilled to finish it (took me 7 days.)

*goes to research about a non-singleton logging system*

I just discovered this machine had an ancient video driver. I upgraded it to the lastest and seems to work fine.

sorry for that.

Oh that's nice .. Now if only someone else could test it on their linux distro ..

I tried the linux version just now. I don't think the package is updated: the SDL_mixer library is still missing and the main files are compressed.

I tried the game with the PacMan script (using the libs provided in the package) and it crashed when I pressed the enter key in the main menu to start the game.

I tried the game without using the PacMan script and it worked fine.

System: Ubuntu 8.04, Athlon 1GHz

The main files don't seem to be compressed on my computer. Look -

And the Mixer library also seems fine. Could you please try again ..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement