Gaming Os

Started by
24 comments, last by Psylocybe 22 years, 9 months ago
quote:Original post by CPlasmaGuns
A game OS would be so cool, you could do stuff like prevent stupid background and taskbar-like programs from running and taking up resources/memory.

Remove them from your startup. It just takes a bit of common sense to realise that it is you who is ultimately responsible for the apparent waste of resources from background processes and applications that sit in the system tray. You told those applications to start in the first place. You can remove them.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Code Monkey  Krome Studios
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Advertisement
To all those guys who got a bit **too** serious there, please calm down.

Although I can't comment for the others in this thread, I'm not setting out to change the world (at least not straight away ). I know it's unlikely that any OS-esque thing I write could ever be accepted into the mainstream, but it's still fun to do. I love doing low-level coding, and thats about as low level as it gets.

As for the drivers issue, I agree, but still, remember Linux's driver support a 4-5 years back, and the fact manufacurer's have only started writing drivers in the last couple of years.

- If you don't try something new every now and then, things are unlikely to change for the better. Basic evolution.

[edit]
Oh, and I realise maybe some of the motives people have for wanting to make an OS are a bit questionable (e.g. taskbar removal etc.), and I agree with you guys that they should just remove what they can from their startup, so it's not all bad!
[/edit]

Edited by - mr_jrt on July 4, 2001 6:25:29 AM
Waassaap!!
Why not just contribute to Linux development? You can even create your own, non-compatible, distribution that contains all the custom modifications that your heart desires while benefitting from developed drivers, libraries and research.

*Chink* *Chink*
/me gets into asbestos underpants
''coz I really didn''t like Linux when I tried it.

So if I was to take Linux, hack out what I didn''t want, hack in stuff that was missing, I''d end up with something that was kinda-like what I wanted, but not quite, but with just as much effort put into it as if I did it all myself.

I''ll admit I plan to use the Linux sources as technical references for some things, but hardly to any great extent.

And like I said, I''m not out to change the world, I''m out to make a hobby OS that might get accepted, but most likely won''t even get finished, let alone accepted.

I have a simple goal, and I''m working towards it. That''s not too unrealistic IMHO.
Waassaap!!
LOL damn I forgot I posted this and have come back to mayhem... I guess I should be a little more specific in my question... assuming optimal conditions if an OS specific to gaming was well made and coded does it have the potential to increase performance so dramatically that it warrants being made and supported by the hardware,software, community??? I''m also learning linux programming as I hope the community will keep growing and we can slowly free ourselves from the windows almost rules the world of OS''s phase we are in right now. Oh and by the way if any of that flaming was directed towards me as opposed to taskbar removal dude please quit bashing people for being non-ignorant... why do people feel superior by humiliating and insulting another??? It seems like every other post I read has a newbie asking a question and another group of "gurus" replying to them telling them why they are so stupid. Yeah yeah I know some newbies post rediculous messages... but there''s a reason why they''re called newbies... CUZ THEY DONT KNOW VERY MUCH. That doesn''t give anyone the right to talk shit to them, except for them newbies that post the same question over and over and dont seem to read the replies... I have no sympathy for them LOL. I maybe a newbie to programming but not to computers.

Quote: "the more you know, the more you know that you dont know,
thus becoming more ignorant"
If you want to do os, assembly, c++ then do those. If you want to do 3D the do 3D. Don''t try to bite more than you can chew. Myself, I went from asm + os work to 3D gfx games. To me games are more interesting and fun.

On the topic of optimization. Don''t optimize code that runs fast enough. Don''t waste your precious time you have on this planet by doing work that doesn''t need to be done if first place. Case in point: I''m working on 3D portal editor using c++ and stl. I run the code through amd profiler to check for bottlenecks. So far the code on 1Ghz cpu is fast enough. When I will see the bottleneck I will change algos + code path. But only when app gets slow.

My guideline:
1)Buy fastest computer system you can afford
2)Change code paths and/or algorithms
3)When all else fails, take out features or do major scene reconstruction (rewriting low level data structures like bsp trees, portal to cell linkage, csg, etc.)
4)Possibly write parts in assembly, not something I would venture into

Looks like ms is ditching c++ for c#. Everywhere I go on ms site I feel like ms is shoving .net + c# down my throat. I guess I''ll stick to win98/c++/dx8 until I''m gray and old

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement