• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SkillfulMmd

getting your foot in the door

This topic is 3564 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello im new to this forum so i hope this is in the correct area. Anyway I am heavilly into gaming and map design and i would like to know how you guy's made it into the "scene" as far as jobs or general design go. Thanks in advance SkillfulMmd

Advertisement
Hard work, dedication, persistence, and luck mostly. If your skill is making maps then design a lot of maps for a lot of games and build up a portfolio. I am a programmer and so I programmed games as a hobby, worked on some indie projects, and now I am working on casual games.

A college degree related to your field will also usually be required by companies as well as experience. Perhaps you should volunteer to work on some mod projects?

Keep in mind the field is highly competitive and it will take time and work to get good at anything. I also must warn you that making games is a lot of work just like other jobs. There are shortcuts and no magic answers.

Good luck.

Can you actually get jobs working only on map design as that is where i would love to work the most. And thank you for your previous post that was very informative.

There is also a poster on GD.net who has a portion of his website: Sloperama devoted to answering common questions about the game design industry and breaking into it.

Should at least give you a starting point.

that was a great link thank's, whilst reading that info in the link i rembered another question i need to ask. Are any of you or games testers and if so how did you get the job and whats it like.

Quote:
Original post by SkillfulMmd
that was a great link thank's, whilst reading that info in the link i rembered another question i need to ask. Are any of you or games testers and if so how did you get the job and whats it like.

Keep reading that site. Ask questions after reading.

Very infomrative information thanks again.

I would also like to know if building map's on Valve's hammers world edditor would be surficient to add to a map porfolio. And if not what would you recommend.

Offcourse, a hammer map is as good a map as any other.
If it plays well and looks great you should definitely add it to your portfolio!

A lot of companies, such as Blizzard, Valve, Epic Games, and id software hire level designers from their enthusiastic modding communities. The big thing is that you need to make a LOT of maps and realize that a lot of them are going to suck. Get your friends and the various games' communities to try out your maps. Find the ones that people like a improve them, tossing out the ones that people don't like. If you built up a nice portfolio of fun, popular maps AND get yourself a college degree, you shouldn't have much troubles at all getting a job as a level designer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!