Free beginners Software

Started by
8 comments, last by Lotus 15 years, 3 months ago
Hey, just wondering if anyone knew any beginners software for game developing. anything in general. I'm just trhying to get a start in this amazing hobby :D thanks. I just need some help to get started..
l jsym l
Advertisement
You could try Game Maker. I didn't really like it, but I know a lot of people do, so it might be worth a try. It has a free version, or a full version for I think about $20.

Edit - one thing I used at school that I thought was pretty good was Greenfoot . It's really simple, but I thought it was fun. There are a lot of tutorials on their website, and it is easy to learn.

Edit 2 - I think Microsoft's XNA is free too, but I have never tried it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." - Gandalf
alright. I've tried the www.yoyogames.com one and just couldn't seem to get into it. I have tried Demos of 'Maya' for an art maker and programs like DardBASIC for programming. I have tutorials but they just weren't enough for me. I'm a huge beginner with only the vaguest idea how to program. Any good books? Programs? Tutorials? all would be very appreciated.
The only program I have run so far is pretty much the famous "HELLO WORLD" one with maybe a few hints to it.
l jsym l
I would say to go for XNA there is a big community developing and there are a few "starter" packs avaliable. XNA is free and so is the C# Express 2008 IDE that it is based on. In fact I'd start with really simple games just using C# Express before getting deeper with XNA. (Maybe even just console based text games)
Do i need the visual c# pack with that because the last time i tried XNA i had to download a service pack and it would DL. Different computer though so maybe it will work this time around.
l jsym l
To get XNA set up you need to:

You'll still need to learn C#, of course, as XNA is not a game maker. It is a framework designed to make it easier to create games that are compatible with xbox 360, zune, and PC. I would highly recommend learning as much C# as possible before diving in to XNA. Once you've got a handle on the language, you can take a peak at some of the starter kits they have to get a handle on how XNA and the content pipeline works. However, in all honesty you should probably focus on learning C# until March/April and then follow along with JWalsh's XNA Workshop. At the cost of the book wrote specifically for the workshop you will be able to learn the ins and outs of XNA. This would definitely be the start you're looking for.
Quote:Original post by l jsym l
alright. I've tried the www.yoyogames.com one and just couldn't seem to get into it. I have tried Demos of 'Maya' for an art maker and programs like DardBASIC for programming. I have tutorials but they just weren't enough for me. I'm a huge beginner with only the vaguest idea how to program. Any good books? Programs? Tutorials? all would be very appreciated.
The only program I have run so far is pretty much the famous "HELLO WORLD" one with maybe a few hints to it.

What specifically about GameMaker couldn't you get to work? They provide a lot of tutorials. Ryan123 mentioned Greenfoot, which I think is a great suggestion as well. I'd really suggest exploring one of these two options instead of trying to dive into XNA right off the bat. XNA is awesome, but before you touch it you need to have a fairly thorough understanding of C#. I'd really call C#/XNA a second step instead of a first to someone who doesn't already know how to program.

laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Thanks again, I just started the 'Greenfoot' download and will be trying to get accustomed to that to begin my development wants
l jsym l
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
Quote:Original post by l jsym l

What specifically about GameMaker couldn't you get to work? They provide a lot of tutorials. Ryan123 mentioned Greenfoot, which I think is a great suggestion as well. I'd really suggest exploring one of these two options instead of trying to dive into XNA right off the bat. XNA is awesome, but before you touch it you need to have a fairly thorough understanding of C#. I'd really call C#/XNA a second step instead of a first to someone who doesn't already know how to program.

Yeah GameMaker should to easy to get into. If you didn't find it so you'll find XNA even tougher! You might want to checkout Microsoft's Popfly since it's a gentler intro to game programming than XNA even i.e think Flash games!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Although it's not free, MMF (http://clickteam.com/eng/mmf2.php) is cheap to get and very easy to learn. I suggest you try out the demo and see for yourself.

Check out War to the Core the world domination space MOBA-RTS hybrid.
Join us on Discord.
Into sci-fi novels? Then check out Spectral Legends.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement