Best Game Engine?

Started by
11 comments, last by robuss24 12 years, 11 months ago
Whats the best game engine to develop 2d games for the pc? I've tried flash actionscript but theres just not that many tutorials out there, unless you can provide a site with current actionscript tutorials i'd be glad to go back to flash..... thanks in advance
Advertisement
"the best game engine" is a highly subjective term. Each game engine exists for a purpose and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

What type of game are you trying to create?
It is very hard to say which one is best. I think it depend on what kind of game you want to make. Some small and easy 2D game maked by flash actionscript.
I have also seen 3D game make by flash before.
Quote:Original post by shadowisadog
"the best game engine" is a highly subjective term. Each game engine exists for a purpose and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

What type of game are you trying to create?

Indeed, tell us what type of game engine you're looking for and we might be able to give you a better answer.
Flex 3 + ActionScript 3 is a fairly decent setup. It allows quick development of simple games with user input, visual effects and sound effects. With Flash 10, it even allows 3D-like effects easily.

I would tend to question your reliance on tutorials, though, because it has two negative effects. First, a tutorial can only help you achieve what that tutorial is about, so you won't be able to create your own things with only tutorials. Second, a tutorial only teaches you what you need to run it, and if your project needs other things, the tutorial will not mention them.

Even then, Flex 3 + ActionScript 3 has a nice online manual, including a part about using Flash 9 to draw things. The manual is both concise and in-depth, and you can rely on it fully to develop a complete game without ever having to resort to third party material.
You can have a look at my engine here or here
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]
well I would like to keep things simple for now so a game like super mario bros and then get into more complex games with particle effects, and something like Alien Homined
Game Maker, this little tool is very underrated in my view.

1- Its great and capable of creating almost all genres of games. I seen even Platformers,Action,RTS and even MORPG's. Google 'Wanderlust game'.

2- Its powerful and easy to use.

3- Theres a great inexpensive book about it.

4- Its free. But can be upgraded, inexpensively.

5- Very strong and big community.
Ok well heres a list of game engines im interested in and you vote which one is good

1. Game Maker- Preview

2. The Games Factory 2- Preview

3. Multimedia Fusion 2- Preview

4. XNA Game Studio 3.0- Preview

5. Unity (3d and 2d games)- Preview

6. Torque Game Builder- Preview

7. Adobe Flash- Preview
An even better idea is that you can download each of them, give 'em a try, and decide which one interests you the most.

The GameDev.net community is here to provide you with information to better make your own decisions, not to make your decisions for you.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement