• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sol Blue

Common screen resolutions

This topic is 3623 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've found a ton of data out there on what resolutions people commonly use when browsing the web, but I imagine the gaming demographic is a bit different. Does anyone have any data on the desktop/native LCD sizes of gamers' displays (or something similar)?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Sol Blue
I've found a ton of data out there on what resolutions people commonly use when browsing the web, but I imagine the gaming demographic is a bit different. Does anyone have any data on the desktop/native LCD sizes of gamers' displays (or something similar)?

Check out the steam survey results that's gotta be alot of gamers there although I'm suprised at the low resolutions everyone still runs everytime since I personally run at 1900x1200!

p.s. I noticed going from 1280x1024 alot of webpages start to look crappy since some websites only use up 1/2 your screen and some games refuse to run at said resolution.

You'll want to give some settings so they can choose between a variety of resolutions. They may want the native resolution, or they may choose something different for performance reasons.

Anyway, have a look at this wikipedia page along with the discussion on it. Those are the major ones.

Quote:
Original post by daviangel
Check out the steam survey results that's gotta be alot of gamers there although I'm suprised at the low resolutions everyone still runs everytime since I personally run at 1900x1200!

Oh, that's a great idea, thanks!

Quote:
Original post by frob
You'll want to give some settings so they can choose between a variety of resolutions. They may want the native resolution, or they may choose something different for performance reasons.

Anyway, have a look at this wikipedia page along with the discussion on it. Those are the major ones.

Yeah, there'll be options, but I think I may have to include a separate art pack for each vertical resolution I support, so I'm trying to pick and choose. Funnily enough, I found that same Wikipedia image (good one, isn't it?), and while it will come in handy, what I'm really after is statistical data on which resolutions are most commonly used.

As was mentioned, the steam hardware survey (clicky) has a section on display resolutions.

Caveat: Observe that 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are very high, but this is biased because many games are written specifically targeting those resolutions, and there are many heated complaints about that on the Steam Community pages. The multi-monitor results should also be considered.

If you look at the Steam results you'll also see that some of the most common video cards are some pretty old ones, and that about 30-40% of the computers are single-core processors.

Most people who consider themselves gamers wouldn't be caught dead with a single-core computer or a 4 year old video card, but the fact is that not everyone that runs Steam is a hardcore gamer.

If you're running in Windowed mode you should support aspect ratios rather than resolutions. During window resizing just make sure they don't make a window much wider than it is tall, or vice versa.

Quote:
Original post by frob
Caveat: Observe that 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are very high, but this is biased because many games are written specifically targeting those resolutions, and there are many heated complaints about that on the Steam Community pages. The multi-monitor results should also be considered.

Ah, very interesting, I didn't know this. Thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
Original post by lordikon
If you look at the Steam results you'll also see that some of the most common video cards are some pretty old ones, and that about 30-40% of the computers are single-core processors.

Most people who consider themselves gamers wouldn't be caught dead with a single-core computer or a 4 year old video card, but the fact is that not everyone that runs Steam is a hardcore gamer.

Hmm, you're right. My group will probably want to target those older machines, since as a hobbyist team, we want to have as wide a distribution as possible. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Original post by lordikon

Heh, I challenge you to find gamers more hardcore than the avid fans of NetHack, ADOM, Moria/Angband, or Dwarf Fortress. The last requires a computer from the last 8 years or so, but the rest will run quite comfortably on computers older than that.

Using Win32 API i use EnumDisplaySettings to query each mode supported.
Then you choose the mode which has the closest match to what is desired.

Quote:

Im the same max res possible, it is shocking + its not just games but general desktop resolution.

its the single most important thing on a computer

1/ large screen resolution

X/ fast video card
X/ fast cpu
X/ lotsa memory

btw watch out for EnumDisplaySettings(..) it misses some common resolutions eg on my PC, no 1920x1080 or 1280x720

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!