• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[UDP] Secure virtual connection

This topic is 3416 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i'm posting because i want to make a secure "virtual connection" using UDP sockets. What i want to prevent are fake clients using a script that simulates real clients, is there a way? to start connection i use a packet client-> server, and a packet server->client to say if accepted or not...

Advertisement
There is no way to really prevent this from happening except using a public/private key encryption, where both the client and the server know each other's private keys before establishing a connection. And even there's a slim chance someone manages to steal the keys.

There is no way to be 100% sure the client is who he says he is. If you want to spend money, you could use certificates. But I bet this is game related, and you want to prevent other people from either making a client that does it's own work(for instance, botting, or hacking, etc.) or pretend to be a client and ruin other aspects.

Toolmaker

Any client can be hacked ... and the hacked client will simply keep the decryption code from the unhacked one. Your server should assume the possiblity of hacking and be prepared for it. You can make it a little harder by encrypting your packets (a simple symmetric system should do it, but it must be order invariant because of the delivery patterns of UDP) – that stops someone writing a complete new client that fakes being yours without finding the key in your code – but it does not prevent hacking.

In the extension, the user can simply use a program that posts fake mouse and keyboard movements to the client (even if the client is not hacked). There's no way you can detect that. If macroing is a problem for your game design, then your game design should probably be changed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!