• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

gcc - do you recommend it?

This topic is 3387 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm thinking about moving from VC++ to gcc, but before I do that I need to hear some opinions about it from people who use it. Is it any good? Does it have a good intellisense?

Advertisement
GCC is just a compiler, not an IDE. VC++ is a compiler and IDE. If you use GCC, you'll need to get an IDE as well - on it's own GCC is just a command line utility.

What Evil Steve said; gcc is merely a compiler. If you want an IDE using gcc I would suggest Code::Blocks or perhaps Dev-C++ (although the latter is not actively being developed anymore).

I love gcc BECAUSE of the fact that it is just a compiler. I prefer using plaintext editors, because the bright colors of most IDE's are very distracting to me :P

If you are the same way then you will probably like gcc, but otherwise you should definitely find some sort of IDE.

I recommend Code::Blocks if you really want to switch to gcc, however, unless you're aiming for cross platform development, don't (and even so, its not that hard to adjust your VC++ code to compile on other POSIX OS if you know what you're doing).

GCC itself is a very good compiler, but MinGW, the Windows port is a mess, and an outdated mess at that, if you like the command line environment, you can go with cygwin, just remember to pass the -mno-cygwin flag so you don't have to a) distribute the cygwin unix layer dll with your programs and b) open source your projects.

If you want to get GCC, download Code::Blocks, which comes packaged with MinGW. MinGW is the popular Windows distribution of GCC. Don't even give Cygwin a second look. Alien territory... GCC doesn't have MFC but it definetely still has STL.

To you buzzkills, some of us don't like spending 100+ dollars every couple of years to stay up-to-date with Microsoft's compilers. VC++ has way too many non-standard extensions. The express editions are horrible. If it doesn't come with MFC, I don't want it.

Quote:
Original post by MortusMaximus
I love gcc BECAUSE of the fact that it is just a compiler. I prefer using plaintext editors, because the bright colors of most IDE's are very distracting to me :P

You can still run MSVC from the command line. You'll generally need to run a batch file called vsvars32.bat to set up the environment variables, but once you run that you can just call cl.exe.

Quote:
Original post by kittycat768
If you want to get GCC, download Code::Blocks, which comes packaged with MinGW. MinGW is the popular Windows distribution of GCC. Don't even give Cygwin a second look. Alien territory... GCC doesn't have MFC but it definetely still has STL.
MinGW is not a good option - and certainly not better than VC++. If you feel for some reason that you must use MinGW, at least hunt down the (fairly uncommon) builds using GCC 4.3+.
Quote:
To you buzzkills, some of us don't like spending 100+ dollars every couple of years to stay up-to-date with Microsoft's compilers. VC++ has way too many non-standard extensions. The express editions are horrible. If it doesn't come with MFC, I don't want it.
Lack of MFC support is the only real difference I have found between the express and standard editions of VC++, and GCC doesn't support MFC either. Even as a long term Microsoft-detractor, I have to say that Visual Studio is one of the best IDEs available, and open-source solutions such as Code::Blocks do not hold a candle to it.

Quote:
Original post by HomerSp
or perhaps Dev-C++ (although the latter is not actively being developed anymore).
Don't use Dev-C++.

Quote:
Original post by kittycat768
The express editions are horrible. If it doesn't support MFC, I don't want it.
Considering the alternative you recommended doesn't support MFC either, are there any other reasons you consider the express editions to be horrible?

Quote:
Original post by someboddy
I'm thinking about moving from VC++ to gcc
Is there any particular reason you're considering the change? It may be relevant to the discussion if you're considering it based on a problem that GCC wouldn't actually fix for you or if there's some easy way of changing the behavior in VC++ you're simply not aware of, and given you referred to the IDE rather than just the compiler we may be able to make more recommendations in that area as well.

[Edited by - jbadams on January 13, 2009 11:20:19 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement