gcc - do you recommend it?

Started by
25 comments, last by venzon 15 years, 3 months ago
I still use MSVC++ to edit my code, and just compile using GCC via makefile or superlongcommandlinestatements. Some people recommend emacs as a good replacement for MSVC++'s IDE.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by taby
I still use MSVC++ to edit my code, and just compile using GCC via makefile or superlongcommandlinestatements. Some people recommend emacs as a good replacement for MSVC++'s IDE.

I use XEmacs, you don't really want to recommend an iteration of Emacs to newcomers or people unfamiliar with Unix environments.
I use cmake to build my stuff, I never really liked having the build system tied into the IDE anyway. Also visual studio's project and build management is awful.

I really fail to see what people find so good with visual studio anyway. I've extensively used each version of it since 6.0 to 2008 in my different jobs, and when it comes to c++ it's becoming worse and worse. It's slow as hell, hangs for no good reason all the time (it even take ages to open a simple text file sometimes), code completion works so rarely that I can't ever rely on it, the project management is terrible and don't get along well with any SCMs (including microsoft's own TFS), the build system is very limited, and the project configuration UI is crap (come on, why does it still have to be in a fixed size dialog as of 2008?)

Nowadays at home I use kate under kde. Only thing it misses is completion, but my code is either simple enough not to need it or template heavy stuff where code completion usually fails anyway.

If I really needed completion and using the ide as a gdb front end, I guess I'd use kdevelop, code blocks or something like that.
For the reason I want to move:

There is nothing wrong with VC++, I just don't think Microsoft released a Linux version of it...
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
Quote:Original post by kittycat768The express editions are horrible. If it doesn't come with MFC, I don't want it.

It doesn't come with the express editions true, but the headers and libs for MFC 6.0 and ATL 2.1, 3.0, and 7.0 ship with the WDK which is available for free from Connect.
Quote:Original post by someboddy

There is nothing wrong with VC++, I just don't think Microsoft released a Linux version of it...

You can use CMake to manage your projects, that way you can use VC++ on Windows and Code::Blocks or Eclipse on Linux without having to maintain multiple build systems.
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Quote:Original post by someboddy

You can use CMake to manage your projects, that way you can use VC++ on Windows and Code::Blocks or Eclipse on Linux without having to maintain multiple build systems.

Really? That's great. Just what I need. Thanks dude!
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
I'm surprised that some people think so low of MinGW. I've used it primarily for nearly a year, and I haven't had a single problem with code or compiling. I also like the ability of gcc to compile for almost any platform on almost any platform. On top of that, there's tons of useful features that are included in gcc, such as --no-implicit-templates. My single complaint is that I have yet to find an IDE that I am really happy with, although I have yet to try Code::Blocks. I am currently using NetBeans, which is full of features, but lacks in some areas such as performance (which should never be an issue with an IDE). My experience with Dev-C++ was pretty awful. The IDE that I have had the best experience with is MSVC6.0, which sadly doesn't support MinGW.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Quote:Original post by MortusMaximus
I love gcc BECAUSE of the fact that it is just a compiler. I prefer using plaintext editors, because the bright colors of most IDE's are very distracting to me :P

You can still run MSVC from the command line. You'll generally need to run a batch file called vsvars32.bat to set up the environment variables, but once you run that you can just call cl.exe.

Yup and the last couple of versions of Visual Studio have made this a no-brainer by actually putting a visual studio 200x command prompt shortcut in your start menu!

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by Daggerbot
I'm surprised that some people think so low of MinGW. I've used it primarily for nearly a year, and I haven't had a single problem with code or compiling.
The problem isn't with GCC, it is that MinGW uses a very outdated version of GCC, and has caused some issues shoehorning it into a Windows environment. Pick up the unofficial GCC 4.3+ version, if you prefer.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement