• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Chadwell

My first graphical game(Critique requested)

This topic is 3566 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone. Well, recently I decided I wanted to learn OpenGL, and found some great video tutorials on OpenGL and GLUT over at www.videotutorialsrock.com . Anyway, after watching a few of them I wanted to see if I could use what I had learned and apply it to something on my own, and while I didn't even think I would get the basics to work, I ended up completely finishing the project in a fairly short amount of time. I have created, the ever original tetris clone. I know, difficult indeed, but it was my first project, and I'm really proud that I finished it and have it working. I wrote it in C++ using OpenGL and GLUT with Visual Studio 2005. You can download the source code here: Tetrology.zip I'm requesting that anyone with the time look over my code, try out the game, and give me some feedback on how I did for a first project. Let me know what I did right, what I did wrong, and what I can improve on. I appreciate any feedback. The only issue I know about is that for some reason the background texture doesn't load when I run the program on my eee pc, but it loads fine on my desktop, and I can't figure out why. I'm looking forward to hearing anything about how I did, good or bad. Thanks in advance! [Edited by - Chadwell on January 13, 2009 2:33:00 PM]

Advertisement
FYI your hyperlink doesn't work :) forget an http:// somewhere..?

Anyway I'll download the source code and have a gander

Quote:
Original post by m0nkfish
FYI your hyperlink doesn't work :) forget an http:// somewhere..?

Anyway I'll download the source code and have a gander

That is really odd, I edited my post like 20 times to fix the links, and I finally fixed em, but for some reason the website reverted to my original post and deleted all my edits. lol oh well, link should work now, and hopefully stay working.

I would very much appreciate it if you looked over my code, thanks a lot.

afaik, you shouldnt use the underscore at the start of a variable name. it does work, but usually these are reserved for the compiler to use in the future.

Hmm. Not sure why it isn't building. What errors did you get? You need to have GLUT downloaded and installed, along with opengl, and have them linked in to be able to compile it...

This is the website that I followed to set up the compiler.
Here

Try that and let me know.

Thanks

Quote:
Original post by agm_ultimatex
I also get an error when trying to run the app. Either exe fails.

Oh I see. If you try to run the Exe it fails because it can't find the textures. If you go into the Tetrology folder and copy all of the bmp images into the debug folder the exe should work then. Sorry I didn't account for this as I was always running it from VC++

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!