My first graphical game(Critique requested)

Started by
15 comments, last by DraganO 15 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Cosmic R
afaik, you shouldnt use the underscore at the start of a variable name. it does work, but usually these are reserved for the compiler to use in the future.

Ah ok, thanks for the heads up. I just used it like that because the tutorial used it like that. Thanks
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Chadwell
Quote:Original post by agm_ultimatex
I also get an error when trying to run the app. Either exe fails.

Oh I see. If you try to run the Exe it fails because it can't find the textures. If you go into the Tetrology folder and copy all of the bmp images into the debug folder the exe should work then. Sorry I didn't account for this as I was always running it from VC++

No worries. We forget things like that, and thats why theres beta tests. I put them in the folder, it still doesnt work. Error msg when I run: "C:\...\Tetrology v0.1.exe The application failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect".

I tried it in VStudio 2008 (after installing the GLUT library), I get an error that it cannot find the glut32.dll, which I did put in the system32 folder in C:\windows
scratch that, added it to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 works fine now. The game seems to be pretty operational. I like the design of it over the SDL one and win32 one listed as a tutorial on this site. A bit smoother, looks a little nicer too.
Copied the textures to the debug folder and it's working great now. Took me a few seconds to figure out how to rotate the pieces. Seems to work pretty well so far. If I were to nitpick, there were a couple times when the blocks separated by about a pixel. Not a big deal, just a small thing I noticed. Great work! Hope you keep adding to it!
____________________________I'm 15, and beginning C#, and maybe Python. I'm fairly experienced in GML as well, and would be happy to help in GM related questions.
Quote:Original post by agm_ultimatex
scratch that, added it to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 works fine now. The game seems to be pretty operational. I like the design of it over the SDL one and win32 one listed as a tutorial on this site. A bit smoother, looks a little nicer too.

I'm glad you got it working! Thanks for the good words!

Quote:that dude over there
Copied the textures to the debug folder and it's working great now. Took me a few seconds to figure out how to rotate the pieces. Seems to work pretty well so far. If I were to nitpick, there were a couple times when the blocks separated by about a pixel. Not a big deal, just a small thing I noticed. Great work! Hope you keep adding to it!

Yeah, that is a texture issue that I couldn't quite figure out. The edges of the textures disappear and reappears oddly. But yeah, I noticed that too. Thanks for the input!
Nicely done!

If you're up for it try to get it polished by fixing that slight separation in pixels.
I tried it out and it works perfectly (after adding the textures and glut32.dll to the debug folder). It didn't feel like the difficulty was increasing over time, which is what I would expect from tetris. But I didn't play it for very long though, maybe to short to notice it getting more difficult.
But anyway, nice work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement