Codeblocks problem!

Started by
5 comments, last by Squirrel2531 15 years, 3 months ago
Here's the problem. The problem is everytime I try to make a project in Direct X form it pops up asking for the location of the DX folder. I then give the folder of the DirectX SDK that include the subfolder of 'lib' and 'include'. After I press finish instead of letting me go on since I did everything right, it displays "The path you entered seems valid, but this wizard can't locate Direct/X's files in it..." This is making me frustrated. Someone please help me. I've already tried using the global editor to add it in, but it still won't work. If anyone has another way/fix please post. I really want to start coding already. Thanks for reading.
Advertisement
The first result from this google search is this page, which looks like the source of the module which you're running.

Notice that message is printed if "include\d3d.h" or "include\d3d8.h" does not exist under the folder you give it. Is there an "d3d.h" and "d3d8.h" file in there?
Out of interest, is there a reason you're using Codeblocks instead of Visual Studio? Visual Studio is the best IDE on Windows with nothing coming even close, and the express version is free and should be more than adequate for most people's needs.
I'm using Codeblocks because I'm already use to it.
Quote:Original post by Squirrel2531
I'm using Codeblocks because I'm already use to it.
Fair point, although I'd highly recommend downloading Visual C++ 2008 Express if you get some spare time. It's pretty much an industry standard for all Microsoft platforms, and some other platforms - When I worked at the last studio, we used Visual C++ 6.0 for PS2 development, and I know there's people who use Visual Studio for Nintendo Wii development.

Having said that, if you're happy with CodeBlocks, don't feel forced to switch, it's just a suggestion.
Add the include/lib directories of the DXSDK to the global search directories (Settings|Compiler and Debugger|Global Compiler Settings|Search Directories) and create the new project as a normal Win32/GUI project.
I already did that, but didn't know it would work making a win32 project. Thanks, I'm going to test it later.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement