How does one include a pre-game movie?

Started by
4 comments, last by Verso 22 years, 10 months ago
DirectShow? MCI? What''s easiest these days?
Remember - Hard work pays off in the long run, but laziness pays off immediately.
Advertisement
I''d use DirectShow over MCI - DirectShow gets you some extra functionality and low level access to the decode and display process if you need it (via filters).

To simply play back a movie in the DirectX 8 version of DirectShow is about 10 lines of code.

Definately go for the DX8 version over the DX7 version because its now part of the DirectX core rather than being part of a separate SDK (DirectX Media), this gets rid of all the installer headaches you used to have (registering DXMedia for your app, a second reboot etc).

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

What do I need to compile a DShow program? I downloaded a sample, but it won''t compile.
Remember - Hard work pays off in the long run, but laziness pays off immediately.
I used the CutScene code in the directshow examples, however, i have come across a problem. my problem exists if i create my d3d device, render some engine stuff, then rendera "cut scene", then try to render some more engine stuff after the movie is done playing. My problem is that my d3d is lost, and i can not restore it. has anyone got code of engine creation, then movie playing, tehn more engine work. if so, woudl be very appreciated.

thanks

Code makes the world spin round
Code makes the world spin round
Verso:

You''re best off getting the DirectX 8 SDK which now includes DirectShow.

(The DirectX 7 SDK headers will be shipped with your compiler, but in DX7, DShow was in a different SDK (DirectXMedia).

Yes, thank you, I did finally figure that out. After wading through mountains of pointless blurb on the web that seemed to work nicely around the answers to my questions, and 137 Megs-over-a-slow-connection later, my samples do compile. Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement