Camera movement screws up other objects

Started by
1 comment, last by msomeone 15 years, 3 months ago
Problem: http://www.steik.org/dump/terrable.wmv It's going to be impossible to explain everything in detail, so here are quick notes: OpenGL/C++, pretty much everything done through CG Shaders Problem is that when I move my camera it seems to affect the Y position of the water as you can see in the video above. It's actually not just the water, it's apparent on the skydome as well in other scenarios. I have tried disabling the wave effects on the water without luck. I have also tried playing with near/far clipping. As well as about 100 other things, but they are too detailed to list. Also, everything is "updated" at the same time, camera position first (based on input), then all world objects (terrain, water, sky). Then everything is rendered. Pretty standard, I think. I understand this is not a lot of information/help, but i'm hoping that maybe someone sees this and recognizes it as some really obvious and common mistake/problem, as I think that's what it is. Edit: Just realized that I should possibly have posted this under OpenGL. If a moderator feels so as well, feel free to move it.
____________________________Bjarni Arnasonbjarni.us
Advertisement
Wild guess: The camera transform is updated somewhere between where the water and the rest of the world is rendered. Looks like it is off by one frame, at least.

Edit: Bad sentence... Nice shallow water effect, by the way!

Edit2: Bah. Did not catch your sentence about update order. Sorry.

[Edited by - Trond A on January 14, 2009 12:32:21 PM]
-Trond
Seems like Z-fighting. Have you tried turning off depth test when rendering water? can you show how u set up world,view,proj matrices for water?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement