Procedural quests and story telling?

Started by
2 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 15 years, 3 months ago
I where thinking of making a RPG with procedural quests and story based on the psychology of the NPC:s and the player. Like in Fable II where you could be good or evil or in Animal Crossing where a lot of things are just random. But there isn’t a game where it has more dynamic dialogs and quests. I think the main story are hard to make any kind of sense if it’s procedural but this will be an experiment. The problems are many.(that’s why it doesn’t have been done) I wonder if it has been any research on the subject. Or something similar. This might be more of a game design question but it needs some kind of implementation also. Can someone give me ideas on where to begin? (I already have a RPG engine)
Advertisement
To get some coherent main story you might use a recursive method for generating your story lines, just like random generated terrains and such.
You begin with some start and end states for your story (you start out as a simple villiger and you are supposed to rescue some princess in the end). You generate one or a few intermediate story states using your high level story generator (you first go to the city for information, then you go to some wood to contact a few hired killers and you go together to the castle to rescue your princess). Then, between these intermediate story states, you generate new intermediate story states of less impact to the overall story line and so on until the maximum level of story detail ( bandit encounter, saving the drowning daughter of the gate keeper, granting you access to the city).

Of course this is only a very general idea and the hardest part is to create stories that are all equally challenging and fun to play.
I've thought of doing this before, I even went so far as outlining different quest types for a random quest generator. The idea fell by the wayside somewhere, and I haven't thought of it again until just now.

I'd like to see what you do, as I've always thought this idea could be turned into an interesting game.
Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens!And now you all must die!Mew mew mew, mew mew mew mew!And now you all must die!-Pete Abrams
I was into this back when I first joined the forum, and I made a big post listing a whole bunch of resources: Automated storytelling and interactive plot in games. It's a few years old now but it should still be relevant.

Keep us posted if you get anywhere! It's a difficult topic. [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement