Best places to buy rigged/animated models?

Started by
2 comments, last by JonL 15 years, 3 months ago
Does anyone know any good places to find fully rigged and animated models, suitable for use in a fantasy roleplaying game? (or alternatively perhaps somebody knows an individual who can rig and animate models for a moderate fee) The game they are for will be 2D isometric, but will use 3D models for it's sprites. The only worthwhile sites I found so far were 3drt.com, turbosquid.com and realmcrafter.com, but 3drt and realmcrafter have an incredibly limited range, and turbosquid is incredibly expensive :) My budget for this sort of outsourced art unfortunately isn't huge. Any suggestions? Cheers, Jonathan
Advertisement
Your are in search of the grail :)

Paying just a few hundred dollars for a fully rigged and animated model is quite cheap. A professional artist working on a AAA title needs a few weeks to a few month to finish a fully rigged, animated, textures model, with a salary of $4000-$6000 per month you could expect to pay $5000-$15000 dollar per model ^^ (from a professional).

I would stick to 3drt.com, which provide a good selection of models for rather low budget.

An other tip: take a look at poser, it is a tool to easily make human (like) models, perfeclty fitted if you just need to render them to your sprite sheet. But I'm not sure about its license.

--
Ashaman
I'm not sure of the quality you're after but you can check out this pack:

http://www.frogames.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4

Which is also easily customizable with textures, etc.
Thanks for the advice guys!

I will be looking at using poser for creating the humans and their equipped clothing/weapons/armour, but I checked up a lot on Poser, and it has the same problem that it's impossible to find pre-rigged/animated stuff, so probably I will use it for humans alone (if I use it at all)

I probably will be buying some models from 3DRT, but it's not a big enough selection, although thankfully I have passable texturing skills so I can get a good amount of variation from my models.

The quality required really isn't that high, as most of the models will be scaled down dramatically for production, and many of the animation cycles are limited to around 3-5 frames, so the animation cycles don't have to be stellar either.

Ashaman: WOW, that pack looks REALLY awesome. I need to look into it a bit more but from what I've seen it looks really perfect.

I'll see if I can get a free sample to test with and we'll see how it goes.

If anyone else has any links like that, I would appreciate them hugely!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement