• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kirkd

wxWidgets license question

This topic is 3446 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just investigating the license for wxWidgets which i GPL or L-GPL. From what I read it appears to me that any program that I develop that uses wxWidgets, which will essentially be any program that has a window with or without additional components, must be available as source code to any user. This appears to be true regardless of whether I create it as OpenSource or charge for it. Is this the correct perception? Any clarification (if necessary) would be appreciated. -Kirk

Advertisement
From wxWidget's page:

Quote:

The wxWindows Licence is essentially the L-GPL (Library General Public Licence), with an exception stating that derived works in binary form may be distributed on the user's own terms. This is a solution that satisfies those who wish to produce GPL'ed software using wxWidgets, and also those producing proprietary software.

That means that you can create closed source programs without the need to distribute your source code.

Thank you. I had gotten so entrenched in the GPL and L-GPL that I forgot the exception clause! ugh.

-Kirk

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!