• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Unreal script smerp function

This topic is 3388 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone point me to some examples of usage regarding this function, or a decent description. I am wanting to produce a parabolic trajectory with unreal script and I'm wondering if this function can give me a decent approximation of said trajectory between two points. I don't have access to the Unreal Engine at the moment so writing this script, and or testing that function is proving troublesome. From what limited info I could find I think it will produce results similar to Cosine graph.

Advertisement
smerp() is a non-linear interpolation between A and B using alpha as the interpolation factor. With a linear interpolation between A and B, if you plotted the interpolated point against the interpolation factor, it would be a straight line. With smerp() plotting from 0 to 1, the interpolated point would move slowly at first then speed up until it hit the center and then slow down as it reaches 1. The equation looks something like:

smerp(alpha, A, B) = (3 * alpha^2 - 2 * alpha^3) * (B - A) + A

Cheers SiCrane

Thats a great explanation, I think I can see how I can work with that.

On a side note UnrealScript seems quite nice, I have never really looked into it before but I quite like the whole state block thing :).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement