Good Game Programming Language

Started by
12 comments, last by Benmen776 15 years, 3 months ago
I am planning on making a 2d top down adventure type game and I have a couple options for currently known programming languages. When I say I already know these languages I'm no expert but I have made games and coded probably 1000+ lines of code. (not sure just an estimate) Python + pyGame: Most familiar with. Java: Taken two courses in college so far, only one game in this but have a good understanding of it. C#: Little amount, mostly just used with the XNA framework. C++: Very little, did a tutorial where I made a text based adventure game. Actually I also followed a tutorial where I got acquainted with openGL. In your opinion what language do you think would prove to be the best choice for me to make a 2d adventure game. Thanks
Advertisement
Use what you know best. There's really no need to know a half dozen languages until you are highly proficient in one or two of them.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

If you're going to learn one language very well, I recommend C++. C++ is the empire and languages like Python and C# are the rebel alliance. I know that the rebels win, but in my mind the Sith are cooler and they win. Haven't you ever played dark side on Knights of the Old Republic? C++ IS POWER! That and machine code is about a billion times faster than managed or interpreted code. I think that Python is really, really cool, but my head almost exploded trying to figure out how to define objects (classes? __init__?). I write Blender export scripts in Python.

Also, ApochPiQ's Finaly Fantasy 6 Lobo avatar is the shiznit.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I once read that World of Warcraft is poor fishing simulator. I don't know about you but I catch a lot more fish in World of Warcraft than I do in real life.
If Python is what you are familiar with, use Python.
Python + SDL, wxWidgets, and other C/C++ libraries with Python wrappers.
Python is just fine for this type of thing, and you list it as the language you know best - get to work writing that game! [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Use what you know best. Trust me it helps and you can save yourself alot of trouble. When you have more time, learn the language that you think would work best. If you're perfect with Python, keep it, you want to move to C++, learn it :)
hmm html ftw?
Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
Use what you know best. There's really no need to know a half dozen languages until you are highly proficient in one or two of them.

Learning many languages is valuable, but your next project shouldn't be your motivation for learning a new language. :)
Just for the record though, managing a python project with a large number of classes can be somewhat difficult. The lack of type safety can make debugging slightly annoying if your class interfaces are at all vague. e.g. "Hmm, now was that third parameter supposed to be a This object or a That object? Guess I'll just have to run it and see if it crashes."

Granted, you can easily flip back between source files to see what goes where, but my point is that not having a compiler to catch the obvious errors can be a major drawback.
Quote:Original post by WhatsUnderThere
Just for the record though, managing a python project with a large number of classes can be somewhat difficult. The lack of type safety can make debugging slightly annoying if your class interfaces are at all vague. e.g. "Hmm, now was that third parameter supposed to be a This object or a That object? Guess I'll just have to run it and see if it crashes."

Granted, you can easily flip back between source files to see what goes where, but my point is that not having a compiler to catch the obvious errors can be a major drawback.

It's true, Python leaves a lot to be desired in large projects. I find the module system and no definitions (recursion issues) to be a more pressing than type-safety.

Bonus is the compiler also significantly increases development time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement