Conv3DS Utility.....

Started by
7 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years ago
I've got exactly the same problem. Even with single frames, there's sometimes bugs (parts of the mesh not in the right place or orientation). I've remarked that this mess occurs especially when you change the pivot point of the 3D object. It seems like 3dsconv always moves the center of an object to its pivot point...
Advertisement
Hello.

My brother made an awesome animation in 3DStudio, and I was trying to get it into my game. I started simple and Exported a simple man from 3DStudio to a .3DS object. I then used the Conv3DS utility to convert to .X. I used the X File loader that came with DX7 (in D3DFile.cpp I believe) to test it out.

Everything loaded in fine (or close enough to fine, there was some texture problems, but not a big deal....).

Well, I then decided to export some frames from the animation. That's when everything went crazy. The conv3ds gave me a .x file which when viewed was the biggest mess I'd ever seen!!

What gives? Anyone know why 3DStudio (MAX) is giving bogus 3ds files? Or is it the Conv3ds? What else can I try? Anyone had this problem? Is there a plugin for MAX that would save directly to .x?

Thanks for any help you can give!

-Snowman

I found a "Work around" for 3DStudio MAX. There's a free plugin that exports to the .x file format (the right way this time!)

I found it at:
http://www.max3d.com/plugins/importexport/info/directxobjectoutput.shtml

Hope that helps anyone with the same problem.

-Snowman

Thanks a lot for the tip, but does it works for you? I always get an "invalid format error" when i try to load a .x exported by this plugin (even with the "xfile-loader" sample from the DX7 SDK). I''ve just mailed the author to ask him for help, but i''d like to know if anyone else was more lucky than me...

Crousto
Yeah, I tried the 3DS MAX DirectX File Exporter too, and it didn''t quite work right. Its good and all, but I had one object, and it was about 390 vertices and 600-some faces. I exported and had the same number of faces, but ended up having 1800 vertices! Something must have messed up there.
Yeah, I download the R3 version and the Exported file would not load into my game. Does anyone know of one thats actualy works?
in order to fix these screw ups, you have to go under the utility tab on the command panel, and then click on reset xform. (be sure to have the objects selected for resetting). this will pretty much show you what it would look like in direct 3d. after resetting, just fix it up, try to use just translations, and rotations, to fix it. sometimes, some faces would be inside out, so you have to flip the faces. then click on reset xform again, and then it should look better when exported.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
I ended up getting it to work without that(dont remember how), but what does Reset XForm do?
it resets the transformation matrices, (probably into a single matrix as opposed to the series of them). translating the pivot point would upset the translation with respect to the global coordinate system that''s existent in the api.

another example is, if you mirror an object in 3ds, it actually translates the vertices, but this does not necessarily reset the winding of the vertices. try it in 3ds max. mirror an object, and then reset the xform on it. since the winding would be backwards, the object is inside out. at this point, you''d have to flip normals.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement