• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Free and easy to use 2D game engine?

This topic is 3315 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone help me find an easy to use 2D game engine? I'm fairly new to game programming in C++, with prior experience in vb.NET. I would prefer that the engine does not support DirectX, I want to learn how to program with something simple first. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
I've heard that Blitz2d is a pretty easy to start programming tool. I'm looking toward using that too, but I am not too sure how complicated your games can be when it comes to complexity of gameplay elements. However, I am sure if you want to make a 2d perspective game with pretty basic "Mario" style gameplay, it will probably do the trick.

I'm no pro programmer or anything, I've got little to no experience in programming, but thought I would let you know what I've heard.

indielib is probably what you are looking for but it uses directx. As an alternative you could use sdl which is good enough for 2d.

Okay. Thanks. I took a look at it. I think it uses directx, or is just directx compatible. Indielib I don't think will work. SDL, however, looks promising.

I was look for more of a framework in native Windows code, something like the sources out of "Sam's Learn Game Programming In 24 Hours". The sources from that book used only native windows code and custom built classes along with it's own custom built game engine.

Problem is, I can't find the source anywhere, and I don't have the book nor the means to get it.

Mine ? :)

Seriously, it's still under heavy development, but you can make some little nice games. On my codeplex space, you can download a little platform game to have a look at.

If you have ideas to improve the engine, just drop a line...

I would suggest HGE. Very easy to use for a 2D game with C++!

http://hge.relishgames.com/

SDL is a pretty good engine for beginners. Although it's written in C, so if you want a C++ version you'd need a framework.

Quote:
Original post by HomerSp
SDL is a pretty good engine for beginners. Although it's written in C, so if you want a C++ version you'd need a framework.

I don't mean to nit pick but SDL is not an Engine. SDL is an API.

The only reason I'm pointing this out so new programmers don't get confused with Engines and API's. You use API's like SDL to build your Engine.

Quote:
Original post by MrCpaw
Quote:
Original post by HomerSp

I don't mean to nit pick but SDL is not an Engine. SDL is an API.

The only reason I'm pointing this out so new programmers don't get confused with Engines and API's. You use API's like SDL to build your Engine.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. I meant to say API but the word "engine" just magically appeared there :P

SDL is an API, while something like Sloth is an engine using SDL.

Well, HGE didn't work. It works off of directx 8, and my current graphics card does not support Direct3D. Any other engines that anyone may know of?

I would, however, like to state that the HGE engine is nicely built and very easy to use. Nice choice!

Someone made a comment about Blitz2d, if you go this route, make sure you get BlitzMax instead, its much faster(really fast) and has OO features. Its better overall and newer.

Your current graphics card does not support Direct3D? I find this awfully surprising. What is your card? DirectX 8 was released in 2000. The first version of Direct3D was shipped in DX2 and DX3 (according to Wikipedia), in 1996.

If you really can't use Direct3D (and presumably OpenGL won't work either), then pretty much your only option is to use SDL or Win32 (of the two I'd stick with SDL) for software graphics.

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Your current graphics card does not support Direct3D? I find this awfully surprising.

Yeah, me too.

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
What is your card? DirectX 8 was released in 2000. The first version of Direct3D was shipped in DX2 and DX3 (according to Wikipedia), in 1996.

My card is an "Intel(r) 82810 Graphics Controller". My computer is obviously ancient.

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
If you really can't use Direct3D (and presumably OpenGL won't work either), then pretty much your only option is to use SDL or Win32 (of the two I'd stick with SDL) for software graphics.

I agree. My only option is Win32. I don't like SDL, already took a look at it.

There is post above this one that describes SFML, which I took a look at. I think that might just be the one I'll go with as long as I don't find out that it's guts are made of Direct3D.

Well. My computer is 7 years old. Its been 9 years.

I think you should have Direct 3d. And by the way:

I suggest STRONGLY that you get a vista computer 32 bit.

This is because, it will take you at least 2 years to finish your magnificent game but if you use xp to make it, 30% more people would probably be using vista over xp in the next three years.

So if your computer can not handle Direct3d, you might want to rethink some things.

Allegro is also just a library - a very nice one at that, but not a full-featured 'engine'.

If you don't have Direct3D, I might highly suggest an upgrade before doing any graphical game development. If you just want experience, text-based is always fun :)

It'll be hard to get anything out of game development if you can't experiment with different engines

HGE is very nice, by the way ;) Allegro for what it is is great too.

Quote:
Original post by fireworking
I suggest STRONGLY that you get a vista computer 32 bit.

Believe me! I fully agree with that. I have a computer that runs with XP Pro, 1Gig of RAM, and very good video card which FULLY supports Direct3D. The only problem? It's curently down. So, I'm stuck with my dinosaur until I get that fixed, lol.

But, yeah, Vista is definitely in my future.

Also, I think that you might be right about the directx thing. My computer probably supports it, but I think that it might have something to do with the way I'm creating the Direct3D device. I'm going to do some more debugging and see if that's it.

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Original post by computergeek101234
My computer probably supports it, but I think that it might have something to do with the way I'm creating the Direct3D device.

It does, so it is worth investigating your code. However, it could also be a problem with the drivers.

Quote:
Original post by EasilyConfused
Quote:
My computer probably supports it, but I think that it might have something to do with the way I'm creating the Direct3D device.

It does, so it is worth investigating your code. However, it could also be a problem with the drivers.

Yeah, I think it might be the driver, because I can't seem to open any of the Direct3D samples either. I might try to roll-back the driver and see if I get any results.

If you are still looking for a good C++ 2D game platform, I would suggest PTK.

It's more of a framework than an engine, but it abstracts out windowing, input, and graphics. It's cross platform, and you can select OpenGL or DirectX as your desired rendering target. It also has sound support, which is nice.

It's free to download the static libs and headers (i.e. enough to make a game), and the full source is available under an indie license for $200.

I like it :)

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by EasilyConfused
Quote:

Yeah, I think it might be the driver, because I can't seem to open any of the Direct3D samples either. I might try to roll-back the driver and see if I get any results.

Alright! Turns out that it wasn't the driver at all. I had my display settings at 24 bit, which DirectX didn't seem to like. My only problem now, is that the only type of device that I can create is a Reference one.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement