• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
computergeek101234

Free and easy to use 2D game engine?

This topic is 3490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone help me find an easy to use 2D game engine? I'm fairly new to game programming in C++, with prior experience in vb.NET. I would prefer that the engine does not support DirectX, I want to learn how to program with something simple first. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
I've heard that Blitz2d is a pretty easy to start programming tool. I'm looking toward using that too, but I am not too sure how complicated your games can be when it comes to complexity of gameplay elements. However, I am sure if you want to make a 2d perspective game with pretty basic "Mario" style gameplay, it will probably do the trick.

I'm no pro programmer or anything, I've got little to no experience in programming, but thought I would let you know what I've heard.

Okay. Thanks. I took a look at it. I think it uses directx, or is just directx compatible. Indielib I don't think will work. SDL, however, looks promising.

I was look for more of a framework in native Windows code, something like the sources out of "Sam's Learn Game Programming In 24 Hours". The sources from that book used only native windows code and custom built classes along with it's own custom built game engine.

Problem is, I can't find the source anywhere, and I don't have the book nor the means to get it.

Mine ? :)

Seriously, it's still under heavy development, but you can make some little nice games. On my codeplex space, you can download a little platform game to have a look at.

If you have ideas to improve the engine, just drop a line...

SDL is a pretty good engine for beginners. Although it's written in C, so if you want a C++ version you'd need a framework.

Quote:
Original post by HomerSp
SDL is a pretty good engine for beginners. Although it's written in C, so if you want a C++ version you'd need a framework.

I don't mean to nit pick but SDL is not an Engine. SDL is an API.

The only reason I'm pointing this out so new programmers don't get confused with Engines and API's. You use API's like SDL to build your Engine.

Quote:
Original post by MrCpaw
Quote:
Original post by HomerSp

I don't mean to nit pick but SDL is not an Engine. SDL is an API.

The only reason I'm pointing this out so new programmers don't get confused with Engines and API's. You use API's like SDL to build your Engine.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. I meant to say API but the word "engine" just magically appeared there :P

SDL is an API, while something like Sloth is an engine using SDL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!