Free and easy to use 2D game engine?

Started by
23 comments, last by computergeek101234 15 years, 2 months ago
There are quite a few engines in here. I took a look at HGE and that looks the most promising. Thanks for all of your help!
Advertisement
Well, HGE didn't work. It works off of directx 8, and my current graphics card does not support Direct3D. Any other engines that anyone may know of?

I would, however, like to state that the HGE engine is nicely built and very easy to use. Nice choice!
PhoenixGL is really awesome if youre using C++

http://code.google.com/p/phoenixgl/
My Blog - http://www.freakybytes.org
Someone made a comment about Blitz2d, if you go this route, make sure you get BlitzMax instead, its much faster(really fast) and has OO features. Its better overall and newer.
Your current graphics card does not support Direct3D? I find this awfully surprising. What is your card? DirectX 8 was released in 2000. The first version of Direct3D was shipped in DX2 and DX3 (according to Wikipedia), in 1996.

If you really can't use Direct3D (and presumably OpenGL won't work either), then pretty much your only option is to use SDL or Win32 (of the two I'd stick with SDL) for software graphics.
If HGE didn't work for you, then I strongly suggest trying out SFML. Cross-platform and OpenGL!
Quote:Original post by Ezbez
Your current graphics card does not support Direct3D? I find this awfully surprising.

Yeah, me too.

What is your card? DirectX 8 was released in 2000. The first version of Direct3D was shipped in DX2 and DX3 (according to Wikipedia), in 1996.

My card is an "Intel(r) 82810 Graphics Controller". My computer is obviously ancient.

If you really can't use Direct3D (and presumably OpenGL won't work either), then pretty much your only option is to use SDL or Win32 (of the two I'd stick with SDL) for software graphics.

I agree. My only option is Win32. I don't like SDL, already took a look at it.

There is post above this one that describes SFML, which I took a look at. I think that might just be the one I'll go with as long as I don't find out that it's guts are made of Direct3D.
Well. My computer is 7 years old. Its been 9 years.

I think you should have Direct 3d. And by the way:

I suggest STRONGLY that you get a vista computer 32 bit.

This is because, it will take you at least 2 years to finish your magnificent game but if you use xp to make it, 30% more people would probably be using vista over xp in the next three years.

So if your computer can not handle Direct3d, you might want to rethink some things.
Try Allegro or SDL. Allegro is dead simple to use.

allegro.cc
Allegro is also just a library - a very nice one at that, but not a full-featured 'engine'.

If you don't have Direct3D, I might highly suggest an upgrade before doing any graphical game development. If you just want experience, text-based is always fun :)

It'll be hard to get anything out of game development if you can't experiment with different engines

HGE is very nice, by the way ;) Allegro for what it is is great too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement