Free and easy to use 2D game engine?

Started by
23 comments, last by computergeek101234 15 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by fireworking
I suggest STRONGLY that you get a vista computer 32 bit.

Believe me! I fully agree with that. I have a computer that runs with XP Pro, 1Gig of RAM, and very good video card which FULLY supports Direct3D. The only problem? It's curently down. So, I'm stuck with my dinosaur until I get that fixed, lol.

But, yeah, Vista is definitely in my future.

Also, I think that you might be right about the directx thing. My computer probably supports it, but I think that it might have something to do with the way I'm creating the Direct3D device. I'm going to do some more debugging and see if that's it.

Thanks for your help!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by computergeek101234
My computer probably supports it, but I think that it might have something to do with the way I'm creating the Direct3D device.

It does, so it is worth investigating your code. However, it could also be a problem with the drivers.
Quote:Original post by EasilyConfused
My computer probably supports it, but I think that it might have something to do with the way I'm creating the Direct3D device.

It does, so it is worth investigating your code. However, it could also be a problem with the drivers.

Yeah, I think it might be the driver, because I can't seem to open any of the Direct3D samples either. I might try to roll-back the driver and see if I get any results.
If you are still looking for a good C++ 2D game platform, I would suggest PTK.

It's more of a framework than an engine, but it abstracts out windowing, input, and graphics. It's cross platform, and you can select OpenGL or DirectX as your desired rendering target. It also has sound support, which is nice.

It's free to download the static libs and headers (i.e. enough to make a game), and the full source is available under an indie license for $200.

I like it :)
Quote:Original post by EasilyConfused

Yeah, I think it might be the driver, because I can't seem to open any of the Direct3D samples either. I might try to roll-back the driver and see if I get any results.

Alright! Turns out that it wasn't the driver at all. I had my display settings at 24 bit, which DirectX didn't seem to like. My only problem now, is that the only type of device that I can create is a Reference one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement