• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Winsock C++ Connect()

This topic is 3289 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I have had this problem for a while and not quite sure how to fix it. If my game tries to connect to my game server that is offline, it will take between 15-20 seconds to timeout. Basically, I want to know how to make it timeout after 3-5 seconds. I googled around and basically it seems that it should be 3 seconds, or at least 3 seconds per attempt (3 for first. 6 for second, etc). Does this mean that one connect call is making multiple attempts and thus causing a long delay? I am using non-blocking sockets and here is a chunk of code: EDIT 1: Actually, I dont make the socket non-blocking till after the call. Is this something that will affect it? EDIT 2: changing it to nonblocking simply does not allow connection. when server is up or down it instantly returns "failed to connect" error message (this is a message I made, so its not any wsaerror or anything) EDIT 3: On further inspection, all calls made by connect() return SOCKET_ERROR, but my server registers the connect. I add a check to see if the error is WSAWOULDBLOCK and when it is, I reconnect after sleep()ing, which returns a SOCKET_ERROR of "WSAEISCONN" This is strange..
       if(WSAStartup(0x0202, &wsa))
	{
		connected = false;
		return -1;
	}
	if(wsa.wVersion != 0x0202)
	{
		WSACleanup();
		connected = false;
		return -1;
	}

s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);

target.sin_family = AF_INET;
	target.sin_port = htons(6009);

target.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr(SERV_IP);

int error = connect(s, (LPSOCKADDR)&target, sizeof(target));
	if(error == SOCKET_ERROR)
	{
		connected = false;
		return -1;
	}

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Crazyfool
EDIT 2: changing it to nonblocking simply does not allow connection. when server is up or down it instantly returns "failed to connect" error message (this is a message I made, so its not any wsaerror or anything)

Right. If the socket is non-blocking, connect will always return SOCKET_ERROR, and WSAGetLastError will be WSAEWOULDBLOCK. You can then use select, WSAAyncSelect or WSAEventSelect as appropriate to wait for the connect to succeed.

I would suggest that 3 seconds is probably a bit short, however. 5-10 seconds is probably better, even on a LAN.

I had a 3rd edit, basically should I test to see if socket_error is: WSAEISCONN to see if it worked right?

edit: and thanks for your help thus far.

Im not quite sure how select works; I thought it was for recving data on multiple sockets.

Quote:
Original post by Crazyfool
I add a check to see if the error is WSAWOULDBLOCK and when it is, I reconnect after sleep()ing

The problem is that now all connections will take 3 seconds.

If you're going to use non-blocking sockets, you need to learn how to use them properly, and that means using one of the functions I listed in my previous response.

WSAAsyncSelect works well for an application with a user-interfcae (since it's based on Windows messags). WSAEventSelect is better if you're not displaying a user-interface (or you need something more efficient than windows messages).

You can also do it using I/O completion ports for the ultimate in efficiency, but that's probably a bit advanced at this stage...

I appreciate that, I guess I'll look into them more.

The thing is, I have been using non blocking socket for connects which has been working fine, and then changing it to non-blocking (not sure why, thats how I learned).

I just wanted to improve on the fact that things can go wrong, server crashes and players dont know about it - I dont want anyone to think their computer froze up because its taking 20ish seconds.

While I look into the three functions you listed, I would like to ask something. Is there something wrong with doing this but calling connect several times (lets say, enough to reach 5 seconds, so using a timer and a while loop) and checking if the error ever is "WSAEISCONN"?

Furthermore, should I be using select() or one of the two other methods for all my client and possibly even server calls? If so, is there a place I can find information on why? (I have skimmed beej's and a few other places and it seems on the surface its to be more efficient with the CPU, you get the benefits of non-blocking speed of call but also the benefit of non-blocking sockets in that it doesnt use a lot of the CPU)

Thanks again

If you call connect() on a socket that is already connecting, then that may reset your current connection attempt and re-start a new attempt. That may, in turn, cause the connection to never actually complete. I don't know which of the current IP stacks have that behavior; if you're interested you can try them all and see :-)

Thanks for more insight, always good to get information - any information - from those who know what they're talking about.

I'm trying to be less of a "good enough that it works" and more of a "know why it works and if its a good decision".

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement