• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ventuz_ks

[SlimDX] Using C# 3.0 in SampleFramework!?

This topic is 3534 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I opened the SampleFramework project in VS 2005 (by modifying the .csproj file) and found that the source code is using C# 3.0 feature: Automatic properties. All the get/set bodies are empty! So I can't compile it in VS2005 without changing 200 properties. I thought SlimDX uses only .Net 2.0. Or did I get something wrong? Cheers

Advertisement
I can't say whether this is how the SlimDX team does it, but you can compile projects with Visual C# 2008 targeting .NET 2.0. Certain C# 3.0 features, such as automatic properties, will still work and the compiler will generate the hidden fields - even in C# 2.0 code.

The resulting binary can then be used by Visual Studio 2005 (but might require .NET 2.0 SP1 to be installed)

The core SlimDX library, as well as the sample framework DLL, are usable from any version of C# starting from 2.0, and any version of Visual Studio starting from 2005. However, the actual SampleFramework project does make use of VS 2008 only features right now. We are working to change that, but it's a low priority right now because it actually works, and you should only need to compile the sample framework if you want to make modifications to it. If you just want to use it, just reference the DLL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!