• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Crazy booleans..

This topic is 3385 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've come across an extremely annoying problem, I have this booleans to record if a particular key is being currently pressed. Later on a class with these booleans is checked and if one of one of them holds true then a particular actions is taken, the code however seems to ignore these booleans and simply take actions wether they are true or false. Something to notice, if I initialized the booleans to true or false it didnt matter however if I included a "!" in the condition to revert whatever its current state was it did not get run. The problem I don't think is in the key check(The setting of the booleans), I placed a breakpoint in that part of the code and it doesnt run until a key is pressed(But the actions are carried out from the very beginning). Is there any reason why this could be happening? I included all the code where the booleans is used just in case. game is a class that contains a pointer to the input class.
#ifndef INPUT_H
#define INPUT_H

The input class(with the booleans).
class Input
{
private:
	bool move_forward;
	bool move_backward;
	bool turn_right;
	bool turn_left;
	bool shooting;
public:
	Input();

//Move Forward
	void set_move_forward(bool);
	bool get_move_forward();
};

#endif

This is the input class constructor
#include "input.h"

Input::Input()
:
move_forward(false),
move_backward(false),
turn_right(false),
turn_left(false),
shooting(false)
{}

//Move Forward
void Input::set_move_forward(bool new_move_forward)
{
	move_forward = new_move_forward;
}
bool Input::get_move_forward()
{
	return move_forward;
}

Here is the code with the ignored booleans, the 'ifs' are carried out seemingly without caring about the condition. Something that caught my attention was that(Before I removed the code for all keys except 'move_forward') the only one that didnt run was the 'shooting' 'if' however the code didnt seem to differ in standard from the others and even if I clicked the respective key it still didnt run... If I changed the condition to be one of the other keys it did run.
//Update
void Ship::update(Game &game)
{
	if(game.get_input().get_move_forward())
	{
		move();
	}
/*	if(game.get_input().turn_left)
	{
		rotate(3);
		set_velocity(0);
	}
	if(game.get_input().shooting)
	{
		game.create_missile(get_position(), get_rotation());
	}*/

if(get_hit_animation())
	{
		play_hit(game);
	}
}

The key checking
LRESULT CALLBACK Application::WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT message,
											   WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
    switch(message)
	{
        case WM_DESTROY:
			{
                PostQuitMessage(0);
                return 0;
            } break;

case WM_KEYDOWN:
			{
				switch(wParam)
				{
				case VK_UP:
					{
						input_data.set_move_forward(true);
					} break;

case VK_ESCAPE:
					{
						DestroyWindow(hWnd);
					} break;
				}

} break;

case WM_KEYUP:
			{
				switch(wParam)
				{

}

} break;
	}

return DefWindowProc (hWnd, message, wParam, lParam);
}

Application contains the input_data, an instance of the input class. Game has both a pointer to an application class instance and its'input class instance.
int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,
                   HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
                   LPSTR lpCmdLine,
                   int nCmdShow)
{
	//Display Window
	Application application(640,480);
	if(!application.display_window(hInstance, nCmdShow))
		return 0;

//Init D3D
	Direct3D direct3d;
	if(!direct3d.init_d3d(application.get_handle(), application.get_dimensions()))
		return 0;

//Game Class
	Game game(application, direct3d);
	game.run();

//Close direct3d
    direct3d.close_directx();

return 0;
}

[Edited by - Antonym on January 15, 2009 6:59:23 AM]

Advertisement
in your key checking function, when you detect the up key you do

input_data.set_move_forward(false);

you give false as argument... you should give true.

Sorry I set that to false to test if that was the problem it didn't change anything but I forgot to set it back to true. (Being back at true and testing just in case, the problem is still here)

Quote:
Original post by OldProgie2
input_data.set_move_forward(false);
^^^^^ ?

I think what he's asking is if the input_data in your Application::WndProc is at all related to the Input member in your Game class instance.

Also, are you returning the Input from the Game object by value in the get_input() function?

I suspect the answer to your problem lies in the code you have not yet posted.

I would also suggest that instead of enumerating what key is pressed by a discrete set of indicator flags, you could enumerate them using an enumerator and potentially reduce some compile time dependencies.

When you run the debugger, what does is say the value of the booleans are when you go through the if statements? Are they the right values and it is simply ignoring them? Or are they the right values, going into the if statement, and what you call in the If statement isn't working right?

Basically I'm asking if you are positive you are getting into the if statement(Try putting a break on the call to move() ).

Beyond that, you didn't post your "game" class, so we can't see what it does. Perhaps it is getting into the if statement but the "game.get_input().get_move_forward()" call isn't doing what you thought it would, or it should?

The problem must be in the code you have not posted, but here is something you might check for that I am often guilty of myself.

In your if statements that are checking the value of the booleans, are you sure you are using "==" and not just "="? For instance:

if (boolVal = true)
{

}

instead of:

if (boolVal == true)
{

}

That should not cause a compile error, and is a common mistake. That could be what is setting your bool values.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement