• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Azh321

Moving a Sprite in a certain Direction

This topic is 3618 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Most of my games have been simple 2d games and depending on the game, they generally had the same control scheme: Left/Right Arrows change your X position. Up/Down Arrows change your Y position. But now I am wanting to make it so that the character uses Up/Down to move forward/backward and Left/Right to rotate his direction. I know im going to need a direction variable (im guessing in degrees) and modify it using left/right, I just dont know to move the player in the direction instead of directly modifying X and Y. Thanks

Advertisement
You will need to use some trigonometry to convert the rotation to x and y positions.

Like this:

x += (float)sin((M_PI / 180.0f) * (360.0f - rotation));
y += (float)cos((M_PI / 180.0f) * (360.0f - rotation));

If you want a better explanation just ask.

Thanks Homer.

I am using SFML which internally keeps the rotation of the sprite. This is good because I dont have to handle the bounds of degrees (0 to 360). So I am using your formulas for when the player presses Up and Down. Then for Left and Right, I am using SFML's SetRotation method and then doing GetRotation so that I also have the value of rotation so that I can use it with the formulas you gave me. BUT this doesnt work 100%. It starts off fine when you start out the game and are facing 180 degrees (straight up). But say I press the keys to go up and left, the sprite faces the correct direction, but the player moves north and RIGHT instead of left.

I was thinking the mapping of the degrees is different between the formula and SFML? Though going straight up and down works. Its just mirrored horizontally it seems.

Now I feel dumb. :)

I fixed it by multiplying my value of rotation by negative one.

Any explanation on why exactly I had to do that?

My guess is that one of them works clockwise and the other counterclockwise or something in that manner.

Quote:
Original post by Falling Sky
Now I feel dumb. :)

I fixed it by multiplying my value of rotation by negative one.

Any explanation on why exactly I had to do that?

My guess is that one of them works clockwise and the other counterclockwise or something in that manner.

I don't know how SFML works as I've never used it. But your explanation seems accurate.

Have a look here for the definition of ::SetRotation().

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!