• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Instigator

Hardware Raid Question

This topic is 3466 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm creating a media server and need a Hardware Raid 5 controller to go with my 4x1TB HDD's. My budget is around $100-200 Canadian. (approx. $80-160 US currency) The problem I'm having is finding a hardware raid card that do most of the following - Support Raid 5 - Work in a Linux OS's - Support for a variety of Windows OS's platforms i.e (Windows Server 2003/2008 (x86/x64) - Support for Windows XP (32/64bit) Anyone know of one that can support all of these features if possible? I want to be able to easily migrate from one OS to another if I choose to do so in the future. AND why the hell is it so hard to find support Windows Server 2008 from a Hardware Raid card?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! [Edited by - Instigator on January 15, 2009 3:16:21 PM]

Advertisement
Server 2008 is the same as Vista, which made a bunch of changes to the kernel driver model. To be properly certified, you have to do a lot of magic, which includes signing to make sure you don't attempt to sidestep the kernel-level DRM for media(!) Perhaps vendors are waiting until enterprise in general actually upgrade to 2008 on a wide front before porting their product.
XP/2003 64 will also be a problem, because the driver support there is generally spotty. Vista changed the driver model, so any 64-bit port to XP/2003 will be targeting ONLY that particular OS installation, and most systems that are running that don't need new hardware.
I think the biggest problem is your budget. If you want enterprise-class hardware and software support, I'd suggest that about $500 US is the price point. The $100 cards don't really worry about the cases that a high-end enterprise would worry about (and which you seem to worry about).

Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll stick with Windows 2003 x86-32 and use VM Ware to support any other distros that I may need within the main OS.

I still don't see why more people aren't using Windows 2008. I thought that updates were going to end pretty soon Windows 2003.

[Edited by - Instigator on January 21, 2009 1:26:14 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!