• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Catkill

Taking the next step quick ways

This topic is 3563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey im fairly new at C++ i know most of the basics (classes, structurs , arrays, variable type, pointers references...etc etc) But now ive been "recruited" to make a very simple yet educational game for a competition, after saying yes i realised i can only make graphic-less console apps , the game is aimed at Primary school kids about 5, 6 , 7 hears old (no colours = bad ) what is the fastest and easiest way to take the step into Win32 programming , and any good tutorials , i have a few books but they seem to focus more on physics and Ai than graphics THEN physics an ai dont say its impossible where theres a will theres a away(think of the children) preferred language is C++ rather than getting game maker suggestion - i used game maker when i was about 8 it was good im not dissing it. Hope you understand that Cheers Catkill

Advertisement
Well if you would like to do some grpahics i think your best bet considering your level of abilaty i would suggest looking up SDL its a simple graphics lib and is relativly easy tp use.

just google it there are a few good tutorials out there.

Good luck

Regards Jouei

I suggest you go for SDL. It's a simple library that provides you with almost everything you need to program a simple 2D game. It's quite easy to use, and it has many extension libraries. Lazy Foo has great tutorials for installing and using SDL.

I said that with SDL you get almost everything you need(I even bolded it) because it won't give you the single most important thing - knowledge. You need to understand the concept of game programming. I suggest you look for some tutorials on making simple games. Open google and search for something like "Create your first game" or "Simple game tutorial".

You said you entered a competition, which means you probably don't have much time. Trying to make a complex game(a courseware IS a complex game, even a simple courseware) too soon is a bad idea. Assuming you don't have time to take the regular, slow path, I suggest you make a cute puzzle game. That's a reasonable goal.

I'd say go even higher level (as high as you can). You'll probably be suprised at how much work this will be, and your priority will be to finish on time. There are various 2D game engines out there - I've never used one but you might want to look at HGE for example.

I have recently converted from SDL (mentioned above) to SFML. SFML uses hardware-accelerated graphics by default, instead of requiring you to use OpenGL or DirectX. This makes it possible to rotate, scale, etc. sprites and shapes in real-time; something which is quite slow using SDL without OpenGL. SFML is also written in an object-oriented manner, and IMO has a very clean interface. Its documentation isn't quite as abundant as SDL's, but I believe that it should have plenty.

But really, both SDL and SFML provide a ton of functionality and a much nicer interface than Win32 along with some platform-independence.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!