• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lendichado_

OpenGL render & dump

This topic is 3622 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have a remote debian linux box and i want to upload a model to it and have it create screenshots of it. I seen the example code of lib3ds i wanted to know if anyone has a snippet or a way to dump was is render. I would like to draw the texture and dump it as either png or a raw bmp (i dont need PNG until after the prototype). Is this possible if my box doesnt have a video card? -edit- i am thinking i want to use opengl, render the polygons then read the pixel bits to dump into a file. But i wouldnt mind how its done as long as the screenshot looks accurate after i dump to file. I dont have a format but i was thinking they all should be .max or 3ds. [Edited by - Lendichado_ on January 15, 2009 5:11:25 PM]

Advertisement
Well, first off, I think it would be more useful to post your question in a linux or better a Debian forum. I think what yo want to do is a little vague... do you want to take a screenshot of what is on the screen, or are you asking how to render it off-screen and then dump it into a readable file format? I assume that you already have a model format selected and can deal with the loading of the model part... but, if not, you are going to have to be more specific about file types.

Oh, and your computer likely does have an integrated video chipset (on the motherboard instead of the card) with hardware acceleration. This is true for basically every motherboard that came out in the last 7 years. If you can get the model to view on-screen, then you don't need to worry about the card.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!